Aftermarket consumables

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
vfauto
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Aftermarket consumables

Post by vfauto »

I have a new Shop sabre with a Hypertherm 85 and was wondering if there are any good Aftermarket consumables out there?
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Aftermarket consumables

Post by robertspark »

I don't think there are any aftermarket hypertherm consumables out there (i.e. licenced product), I think they are all copies if not genuine and viewed as fake / counterfeit.

Article here for you to peruse and consider.

https://www.hypertherm.com/customer-sup ... nsumables/

https://www.hypertherm.com/our-company/ ... feit-raid/

an old post on here, but its content is still relevant:

viewtopic.php?t=10781#p58839
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Aftermarket consumables

Post by jimcolt »

The real price of your consumables is not what you have to pay at the counter for them, rather it is the purchase price divided by the number of inches or feet cut. Generally, when you have good height control and are running at book specs with genuine Hypertherm consumables this cutting cost works out to a fraction of a cent per foot of cut. The aftermarket consumables are "caliper engineered"...….some small sweat shop in China copies them dimensionally, the hafnium diameter is too large (poor heat transfer to the copper), they use a lower cost copper alloy (poor critical bond between the hafnium and the copper) the stack up tolerances are way out of Hypertherms' specs , and more. They copy these parts without the Hypertherm prints.....and the result is that occasionally you get a set that works, usually you get varying results, sometimes you get instant failure and potential torch damage. The fraction of a penny that you might save probably won't affect the cost of the parts you are cutting, however a failed torch or inconsistent cut quality and life will. Further, all of Hypertherms consumables are manufactured in Hypertherms USA plants by employees that own 100% of the company, and most are patented. You could be affecting American jobs and allowing patent infringing imported products to be used in your shop.....just to get a discount at the time of purchase (and almost always costing you more at the point of use). Still want the aftermarket parts? Jim Colt

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”