Fastest way to mask off parts - Vinyl cutter?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Fastest way to mask off parts - Vinyl cutter?

Post by Econdron »

Does anyone have a rapid way of masking off parts for finishing? Masking tape is easy and versatile, but it's very time consuming. I find myself spending most of my time masking parts for painting than any other step in the process, and I keep making mistakes and missing small sections that really stand out in the end. I'm talking specifically for masking off like 10 of the same sign, not just one-offs, and simple things to mask that don't require precise layout of the mask.

I was thinking maybe getting a vinyl cutter? Then I could print out masks, put them on, and hopefully they peel off easily without pulling up the base coat. Or cutting the masks out of a thin sheet of cardboard or something similar. Like just cutting out a circle so I can spray the outside ring a color, then printing out a ring to mask the outside ring and remove the circle so I can spray the inside circle a different color.

Looking for ideas on this please!
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Fastest way to mask off parts - Vinyl cutter?

Post by Ironken »

We have a Cricut that my wife uses. She cuts the masks for wine bottles and I sand blast (etch) them. The vinyl works very well for masking but is a pain to get on straight without wrinkling on curved surfaces and is a pain to pick out all of the drop outs from the decal you made for masking. For detailed masking, it is badass. It's also time consuming to peel the mask off. That vinyl sticks very well.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
Tick496
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Tick496 »

Tried using contact paper ? Clear? Wrap and cut with exact and maxhine ruler
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Contact paper in a vinyl cutter, slightly heat with heat gun, rub in place. with cotton gloved hand. Paint then slight heat to remove..

Option B:
Make each color a separate pce of Metal glue, tape or screw together after paint dries.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

I have a vinyl cutter. (US Cutter 28" SC2) I like it a lot but haven't used it for masking parts on steel yet. I have used it for masking parts on wood and it works well. Mine is about 400 new not including vinyl IIRC.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”