Don't work alone without telling someone where you are!

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Don't work alone without telling someone where you are!

Post by rdj357 »

I know this is quite off topic - well not really I suppose, in that you should always let someone know where you are and what you're doing when working about.

I stopped by a store on a whim that I was considering leasing for retail space on Wednesday afternoon July 31st. I climbed an extension ladder that was propped up to look at a loft area and when I got on the ladder to come back down, it collapsed and away I went to the concrete floor about 12 feet below. I distinctly remember my head bouncing off the floor twice and I was very disoriented but didn't lose consciousness. I couldn't figure out how to get my watch do dial the emergency number and couldn't remember where I usually kept my cell so I got up and walked outside to the car. I collapsed having gone as far as I could next to the car (that was parked completely around behind the vacant building) and fished my cell out of my back left pants pocket and it was miraculously, completely undamaged. I called 911 and managed to get my uniform shirt off to hold on my head wound while I waited for the ambulance. They took me to the local hospital and determined my back was broken and I'd have to go to a larger facility with a neurosurgeon on call. They flew me by helicopter to Tulsa, OK where they stabilized me and the next day at noon the surgeon screwed me back together.

I'm lucky to be alive. I'm lucky I didn't pass out and no one know where to find me. I'm lucky they were able to fix up my back. It will be a long recovery but I'll be fine to fly and teach Design Edge in Vegas here in almost 4 weeks and I've added a class in Tulsa, OK for the coming spring. For pete's sake tell at least someone when you're out somewhere alone where you are and when to expect to hear from you. Don't make yourself have to be lucky like me!

Here's the handiwork of my surgeon repairing my crushed L1 vertebra:
back view2.jpg
back view1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Don't work alone without telling someone where you are!

Post by robertspark »

good advice

sorry to hear your tale, words cannot convey that I hope you're able to make a full recovery glad the treatment available has been so good
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I'm glad your alive to tell the tale, life sure has some strange pop quiz's at times.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

Great advice and glad you are still with us! get well soon!
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Sorry to hear about that, about 2 years ago my daughter had neck spine surgery and she was out of work for 3 months. We stayed with her for that time to help her get around and monitor treatment and drugs. Your family help and care must have been great, and with follow up Physical care things will get better, just go slowly. Your story shows when we get up in the morning you have no idea what the day will bring, take care.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Oh man that could have been so much worse, glad your still with us! Wishing you a fast and full recovery Robert.
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

T12 & L1 takes your breath away! Thoracolumbar junction is some of the worst days I have :Wow
Good to hear your already making date's
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Thanks everyone, I'm very fortunate to be alive!! Yesterday brought some more tough news - the bang on the floor has torn the retina in my right eye in 3 little places and it's starting to detach so tomorrow is emergency surgery to fix that followed by 7 days face down. That will be interesting with the back brace/pain so I'm hoping it is tolerable. Positive energy, thoughts, and/or prayers are much appreciated. They did say I should be good to see the play Hamilton since I have tickets for it on the 30th and Vegas was all good in September so I'm still getting pieced back together and on track!
DXF

Post by DXF »

Glad UR OK. I almost had something similar happen to me while felling trees on my property alone.....almost broke my leg in a heartbeat after a large branch swung around an oak tree I was standing behind for protection. Don't do it anymore.

Dave Hanks

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”