Ironshadows Sign Slapper

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Ken W 8117
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Ironshadows Sign Slapper

Post by Ken W 8117 »

I'm new to this and pretty much lost. I just set up a Torchmate 4400 and am trying to learn the CADCAM part of it. I have no experience with this stuff. I am kind of getting the hang of the Torchmate CAD, but have been looking around also.
The Sign Slapper looks pretty good to me, but I would like some feedback about it if any of y'all are using or have used it.

Other than that, thinking maybe the BobCAD clip art package offered through Torchmate.
Any advice?
Ken W 8117
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Ironshadows Sign Slapper

Post by Ken W 8117 »

No one?
OK then, I guess I'm on my own.
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Not really on your own, just for one never heard of it.

Torchmate being proprietary consists of the cad program, driver software and motor controls. First step, do your drawing in cad. Next apply your tool path and delete your original drawing being sure to select "Show Tool Paths Only". What's left is the tool path, complete with lead-in's/out's you can adjust ensuring a cut ready file. I highly recommend not saving over your perfected drawing with the tool path version. :Yay Once saved it can be pulled into your driver software and sent to the machine to cut.

Concerning cad programs. I'd recommend you pick one and devote the time to get it down. Doesn't have to be overly complicated or expensive. Many people use Inkscape with success and it's free. I however am partial to TM cad. It's all I use and I'd venture to say to great success. But just like any other tool it's all in how one uses it.

For more specific TM help be it cad, cam or machine just ask your question in the appropriate section of the board and you'll get help.
Ken W 8117
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Ken W 8117 »

thank you
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

Yea I havent used the software you were talking about so can’t help much there. I use inventor pro for all my CAD work for my plasma and 3D printer the use sheet cam to create the tool path using the DXF file I created in inventor. Then use Mach3 to do the CAM work using the TAP files that sheet cam created.

Like Ben de lappe said, pick one set of software and dedicate the time to learn just that software. If your constantly trying to jump around on different programs while your learning none of them will make sense. Pick one CAD and one CAM and stick with them.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Never heard of Sign Slapper. Checked it out, looks handy for doing signs and stuff but really this can all be done in 1 program pretty easily if you know the program and you need to know one anyone. Pick one and learn. Lot of Inkscape users and help here as well as Corel DRAW. Corel is my preference mainly because its what I started with and know. Check out the Corel and Inkscape forums here viewforum.php?f=138 and you will see a link to download free trial versions so you can select one you like. Best of luck and have fun :Yay

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”