Rack and Pinion Spur Gear Nema 34

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
evotechcorp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Rack and Pinion Spur Gear Nema 34

Post by evotechcorp »

Collecting parts for a 5x10 plasma build and having a difficult time finding spur gears with a 14mm shaft diameter... I suppose its easy enough to buy one for 1/2" and throw it on the lathe but I'm just in disbelief that I can't find them. From what i've researched every Nema 34 motor and planetary gear reducer has a 14mm shaft - what am I missing here? I've checked numerous DIY sites, ebay, amazon, McMaster-Carr, Grainger... no luck. Aaaand i'll probably feel really stupid once the replies start coming in....
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Rack and Pinion Spur Gear Nema 34

Post by acourtjester »

Not to feel bad it is a supply and demand thing, until the demand is there (which may never happen) none will be on the market.
It has to do with number of teeth and shaft sizes and pressure angle of the spur gear.
Have you thought of a secondary shaft in place of direct motor drive
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

For the what it's worth dept my ClearPath Nema 34's are 1/2" shaft
harrymorley
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by harrymorley »

hmmmm.. plasmacam designedge has an option for drawing your gear..know anyone with plasmacam close by ? also ideamusements.com is a
program that will make a gear file for ya , then have someone cut it for ya..just a thought
evotechcorp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by evotechcorp »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:39 am Not to feel bad it is a supply and demand thing, until the demand is there (which may never happen) none will be on the market.
It has to do with number of teeth and shaft sizes and pressure angle of the spur gear.
Have you thought of a secondary shaft in place of direct motor drive
I might just have to lean that way instead, as the owner of several Commercial CNC machines I liked the maintenance option of pulling an entire motor gear assembly directly out of a pocket, not to mention the sealed planetary system.... Probably overthinking the build, my brain is programmed for coolant and chip issues that wont arise on a plasma table...
evotechcorp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by evotechcorp »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:47 pm For the what it's worth dept my ClearPath Nema 34's are 1/2" shaft
will take a look at those, thanks!
evotechcorp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by evotechcorp »

harrymorley wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:08 pm hmmmm.. plasmacam designedge has an option for drawing your gear..know anyone with plasmacam close by ? also ideamusements.com is a
program that will make a gear file for ya , then have someone cut it for ya..just a thought
I have several CNC mills and could easily do it myself, just not worth the setup time if I can pull a commercially made product off the shelf.... Not to mention with as many tables as there are out there if I cant find the parts then I probably have a fatal error in my design.
thefabricator
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by thefabricator »

I use the closed loop version of these on my large industrial machine, 1/2 inch shaft,

http://www.americanmotiontech.com/produ ... pper-motor
thefabricator
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by thefabricator »

Also Leadshine make a range of Nema 34 motors with half inch shafts,

Closed loop,

http://www.leadshineusa.com/ProductSubT ... per-motors

Open Loop,

http://www.leadshineusa.com/ProductSubT ... per-motors

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”