Mounting to uneven stone

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Mounting to uneven stone

Post by whiskeymike »

I’m doing a corporate sign that is going to be mounted to a large piece of limestone. I got a look at the stone today and there’s about 2” variance of depth difference between different areas of the stone face. Anyone have any suggestions on a good mounting process so it can be adjusted in the field? To make it level and plumb?

I expect that I will drill holes using a hammer drill, then tap cons or hilti bolts. I’ve thought about cleats, but don’t know how to make them adjustable for depth or lock the piece in. Thought about bolts welded to sign, then put mounts on rock and use nuts to draw it in/out. I’d like the mounts to be hidden as much as possible. Also the stone is showing through on the stone, so I can’t mount a full plate to rock and then sign to plate.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Mounting to uneven stone

Post by Ironken »

Could you bring some tube that slips around the bolt and trim to length in the field as standoffs to set the sign's distance from the face?
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Maybe. Good idea. Quickly thinking about it, a difficulty may be making them level/perpendicular to the ground. But maybe that can be handled with shims.

I almost want to setup the mounts, then weld it in the field. The mounts don’t have to be square/level etc. if the sign is.

Similar to your thoughts, could weld clips on to the sign, then screw all thread type anchors into rock, trim to proper length, then slip sign clips over all thread, secure with nuts.

This had been a tough mind bender. Wondering if I’m over complicating it, or saving me 5 trips and hours of work in the field. I don’t normally hang them, so this is new to me.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Been thinking about it more. Think I’m going to go the route of all thread/rods into the stone using a construction epoxy, then weld short tubes that will slide over rods. I’ll tap holes in the tubes to be able to lock the tubes on to the rod with short bolts. I think that will give me enough adjustment, just need the rods level to start.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”