Torch goes down into material mid cut

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
sweven
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torch goes down into material mid cut

Post by sweven »

Running Trucut series one with powermax 105, 105A mild steel 3/8 inch
Whenever I start my cut, it goes normally but then midway through the torch dives down and ends up hitting the material and dragging, making it so I have to stop the machine so it does not break.
This issue has happened sporadically and I'm not sure what is causing it. :Sad
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch goes down into material mid cut

Post by acourtjester »

The torch is following what Mach tell is to do, If you are using a THC you need to monitor the torch voltage. Normal cutting it should only very a small amount and correct itself to maintain the correct torch height. You did not say if the torch has turned off when it dives, if so the "Arc OK" may not be working. Many THC's have a test mode so you can see the signals from the THC, If you are using Mach you can watch for these in the diagnostic page.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch goes down into material mid cut

Post by TJS »

Not that I am a big help here but I am fairly new at this. You may want to really think about doing a magnetic breakaway for your Z set up. There are quite a few builds on here that show them. I built one for pennies compared to the commercially ones available. I also incorporated momentary push button switch so when the mount comes off it's position magnetically the switch opens and goes into E-stop. I also put a tether wire on it so it does not get damaged by the fall. I had one tip up recently where it did not breakaway but came away from the magnet mount and the switch opened. Kind of a pain to restart for a newbie in Commmand CNC but I an getting used to M5 and run from line process.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”