Magnetic torch mount

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
daddog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Magnetic torch mount

Post by daddog »

Does anyone here have a Delusional Designs magnetic torch mount. They are by far the least expensive I can find. I know they are 3D printed but I haven't heard from anyone that actually has one.
TJS
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Magnetic torch mount

Post by TJS »

Not sure if you are into building your own but the link in my signature for my table build shows how I made one. I am sure there are many others who have built their own.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

daddog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by daddog »

Thanks for the replies and the links. May try making my own once my new torch head comes in!
SegoMan DeSigns

This is my spin off to Sean P's design, I added some mounting tabs for lasers and tilting to square and or a bevel cut:

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Very nice Segoman! Laser addition looks great, I really should get mine set up with those.

Only thing I have changed on mine is to use 3 x 20mm dia magnets the countersunk ones on ebay, screwed to the holder only because the double sided tape kept slipping and I had plenty which I use for picking off small parts, tiger seal adhesive might be better than tape.
It really does work well.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

may want to consider using a green laser if you use green tinted shade 3 (or 5) eye protection, as a red laser is not that clearly visible.

may also want to consider that those cheapo lasers have 5V (+) connected to the metal casing.... so if you use a common ground... they are not for this world for long ;) ..... if you use an isolated power supply 5V power supply for them then that is great.

I use one of these (12v) green lasers, and it is offset away from the torch so that pierce blowback splatter does not collect on the lens over time
https://www.google.com/search?safe=stri ... CAs&uact=5

I have a toggle button onscreen (and could add one to the gantry, but my machine is next to the table + touchscreen), which moves the carriage across and turns the laser on and off.
SegoMan DeSigns

Sean,

I used the drilled / counter sunk Neodymium Magnets as well. just order extras as they are a tad brittle :HaHa LoL
I added these files to your thread as well.

Robert,

Those green babies cost green, I got 10 Red from China delivered for $20, I went cheap because I figured they would have a short life span in the plaz environment

Here is the files on my torch holder, my advice is to cut the alignment holes small then step up holes incrementally with a drill bit to get perfect spacing for magnets. The DXF's are a splined CorelDraw export, if you have trouble with them I can fix it for you.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I tried the lasers, but wasn't happy with how they worked. I have an air scribe, so I just made a mach macro that offsets the torch.
I drop the air slide and move the gantry until the tip of the scribe is centered directly over where I want the torch to be. Then click the button and it zeros all 3 axes, retracts the slide, moves the torch the correct offset and rezeros the axes. Ready to cut.
It's more precise, since I can put the tip exactly where I want it. It also does the z axis which you don't get with lasers.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
daddog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by daddog »

SegoMan,
I like that. Where did you get the lasers?
SegoMan DeSigns

I got 10 from china for $20 as I recall,

Do an Amazon or Ebay search for "Focus Adjustable Line Laser Module" be sure to get the line type and not the cross hair type.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”