Cold and servo motors

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Welder Kenny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cold and servo motors

Post by Welder Kenny »

Ok guys I think I know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a homemade table with a PM 65xp running Mach 3 and sheet cam, I have the table in a warehouse that has no heat and I'm in Northern Michigan where temps in the building get to 0 easy, I run a propane heater but still only gets temp up to maybe 40*. my question is this bad for my servo motors I've heard my zed axis grown a little when it starts the cuts. Hoping for an early spring.
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Cold and servo motors

Post by DieselFumes »

I am not sure how damaging it will be but I could certainly see them not liking it. My table is stepper driven and the motors build heat when the system is powered on so I power it on in the morning and come back 10-15 minutes later once they have warmed up a little to start cutting. Not sure if your servos behave the same way. Come on springtime!!!!
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

I live in Idaho and I have never had any problem with my drives. We don't get quite as cold (in the teens today) and I have no heat in the shop. Been running my table in the cold since 2006 and moved it to 3 different shops here in my area, only time I had a problem was when the screws started making noise and I replaced them with Ball Screws (all three axis) in 2009, no problems now.

Larry
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I would check the drivers current setting to be the same as the motor needs motor spec sheet. I had a problem with the table I built for my daughter.
Winter in Md in the garage the Z would grown and may even not turn, I had set the amps low to keep the motor cooler under normal conditions, wrong move.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
lockeyone
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by lockeyone »

If I were doing this I would just make up a program/routine to start slow and speed up just to exercise the machine (warm up) say for 5 to 10 minutes. I have to start my spindle on my router to warm a little before running a program. My shop is at 40, 50 when I am in there.
Table 4'x4', BladeRunner EtherCut 620 LINUX w/CommandCNC
Hypertherm 65 CPC/RS485 Machine torch 2016
BobCad router 50"x50" MACH3 2kw spindle 2003
Shoptask Eldorado cnc MACH3, 1999
Epilog Mini 24 60watt, 2013
Vectric Aspire CoralDraw x6 SheetCam
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

I'm too poor to heat my shop, so I don't use my table much in these Wisconsin winters. Hell I barely go outside in the winter... but when I do brave the low temps and use my table (with servo motors) I've never had a problem.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Welder Kenny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Welder Kenny »

Thanks everyone, It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone in the cold shop thing..look out plasma table here comes Kenny.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Most electronics work better the cooler you keep them. Resistance in wires and components drops with temp and lower resistance means less generated heat. Any heat from a system is from losses (energy not being used to do work) About the only thing I would worry about (and only below freezing temps) is that lubricants get thicker and moving mechanical parts may not move as easy. Cold causes metal to contract but most motion systems have enough tolerance. Now moisture is another issue. You want to keep electronics and controls dry and high humidity causes corrosion and rust If you can stand the cold without arctic level insulation so can your table.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”