PCD file problem?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
LaneCustomWorks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

PCD file problem?

Post by LaneCustomWorks »

Having a problem with files trying to convert to PCD files instead of TAP files when I have a image ready to cut. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there something in some of the free and bought files that is making them do this? I have been able to get some of the files to stop trying to go to PCD , but not sure why some will not. And not sure if I did something right to remedy it or if dumb luck stepped in. New to this and learning on the fly, so I hope I am accurately describing my problem. I have a ShopSabre table with EnRoute software for the plasma side of the programming.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PCD file?

Post by adbuch »

The .tap files I am familiar with are output from the Fusion 360 post processor I use for creating gcode files for cutting. I had not heard of the .pcd files, but apparently they are image files similar to a jpeg. I would think that your software package would offer options for saving files. For example, Inkscape offers the following.
David
save as.jpg

https://www.lifewire.com/pcd-file-2622171

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

What software are you using that is saving your ready to cut designs as a .pcd?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It looks like PCD is a photo file, this is what a Google search said about converting. Don't know it the conversion program has .TAP but my have SVG or DXF for you to load into SheetCam

How do I convert PCD to JPG?
How to convert PCD to JPG
Upload pcd-file(s) Select files from Computer, Google Drive, Dropbox, URL or by dragging it on the page.
Choose "to jpg" Choose jpg or any other format you need as a result (more than 200 formats supported)
Download your jpg.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
LaneCustomWorks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

I am trying to output to a cutting file, a .tap file in my EnRoute software. What is happening, is when I go to save a file to be exported as a cut file, .tap, it starts creating a .pcd file on it's own. Also, when this happens ,it seems to freeze up and never fully finish creating the .pcd file. I am not certain why this happens with random drawings that have already been imported, cleaned and have had toolpaths placed.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I wish I could help but something isn't adding up here. You go to save or export a design to a .tap file and you end up with a .pcd? You may need to contact EnRoute, that is weird. Either the software is malfunctioning or you could be doing something wrong.
LaneCustomWorks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Weldguy, that's what I was thinking also. But wanted to see if anyone else ran into this. I always do the same steps when saving the file to convert to a cut file,, so I am not sure where the problem lies.I always seem to find problems that no one else seems to have. Just makes it more satisfying when you figure it out, and so much more frustrating along the way.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

LaneCustomWorks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

I have researched and know they are some sort of picture file ,I believe a Kodak product, but the the problem is not importing to design. It is when my EnRoute program is supposed to be converting my toolpathed drawing into a .tap file, g code cutting file, and instead tries to turn it into a pcd file. I have made enough files go to a .tap file, but for some reason on others it will continually change it to a .pcd. Along with that it seems to freeze up and never finish that conversion. If it did I believe I could then convert that .pcd file into the correct .tap file
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I think your best bet would be to contact the company directly and ask for customer support.
David

https://www.thinksai.com/contact
EnRoute Tech Support.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

LaneCustomWorks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

I was going to get ahold of tech support, but I prefer to pick the brains of the end users and see how they have worked around problems. Sometimes tech support can be a little condescending to the person on the other end of the phone or email. This is not always the case, but have run into it being an HVAC tech. thank you everyone for your input. I will try and give an update when I get this figured out.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you paid for their product, then they will most likely offer support to their customers.
David
Zach9876
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Zach9876 »

Did you have find a solution to this .pcd problem?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Zach9876 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:20 pm Did you have find a solution to this .pcd problem?
I believe this was a problem caused by the Enroute software. The OP has not been back since January, so we do not know if he was able to resolve his problem. What is your specific question, and what software are you using?
David
Zach9876
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Zach9876 »

I had found his post through Google search. Exactly the same issues with enroute7. After about 6 hours and the next day later I was finally able to output the file. Enroute tech support was not familiar with my issue though I can't believe it doesn't happen more often.

Best I can tell the issue was caused by multiple kerf values within one part as once I corrected the values it allowed me to output. Four pierces with two different values. Found it by chance I was going through everything for the 8th time and said "wait a minute" and "how did that get there like that?"

So now hopefully this post can help someone in the future should they be googling (why is enroute7 outputting my files as .PCD instead of .tap
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Zach9876 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:59 pm I had found his post through Google search. Exactly the same issues with enroute7. After about 6 hours and the next day later I was finally able to output the file. Enroute tech support was not familiar with my issue though I can't believe it doesn't happen more often.

Best I can tell the issue was caused by multiple kerf values within one part as once I corrected the values it allowed me to output. Four pierces with two different values. Found it by chance I was going through everything for the 8th time and said "wait a minute" and "how did that get there like that?"

So now hopefully this post can help someone in the future should they be googling (why is enroute7 outputting my files as .PCD instead of .tap
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”