Precision plasma gantry

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Precision plasma gantry

Post by OTHill »

Hi. My precision plasma gantry v rail is worn out. Can somebody steer me to where to get replacement? I think it's around 12 years old. It's approximately 1.625 in.deep by .875 thick. Prefer Canadien supply. Don't know what's the right term for it. Thanks!
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Precision plasma gantry

Post by weldguy »

Grainger in Canada would be a good place to look. May not be the cheapest but if you can find the size you need it will ship to your door within 48 hours if its in stock. Check this link out https://www.grainger.com/category/power ... uide-rails This is certainly the way I would go in your situation.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Good to know about Grainger, I had used them on the tables I build but with Covid the supply I used dried up (eBay)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS

Post by TJS »

I have the Prec Plasma V rail set up as well. I don't see the specific one like it in the grainger link unless I am missing something.
OThill- can you post of pic of what actually wore out. We were told these V rails I think were flame hardened if I remember correctly. I do notice I will have to re-attach the gear pack in the future as the 3M tape is not as tight as it used to be. I am going to try and figure out a better way to attach the gear pack to the underside of the rail.
T.J.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I'm a little confused with what and why the wear. There is very much play in the z carriage if I can call it that, on both ends of the rail and tight in the middle. When I adjust the v wheels on the end and run it across the wheels are forced apart again.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
TJS

Post by TJS »

My X rail is different than yours. I have the 80/20 style set up, I think. I think my Y axis ones are different as well as I think I have the first generation PPLC. I am very nuts about keeping my rails clean. I wipe them down a lot.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

It could be that you have buildup of plasma dust in the middle of the rail. I clean mine after every use or the rollers just pack it down and it gets thicker and thicker and then problems start. I would get a scotchbrite pad and clean all your rails and v bearings very well and them blow them off and readjust your bearing and see how it runs.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

weldguy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:05 am It could be that you have buildup of plasma dust in the middle of the rail. I clean mine after every use or the rollers just pack it down and it gets thicker and thicker and then problems start. I would get a scotchbrite pad and clean all your rails and v bearings very well and them blow them off and readjust your bearing and see how it runs.
That does make sense I'll have to try that. Thanks
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Your welcome. Let us know if a good cleaning does the trick.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

weldguy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:29 am Your welcome. Let us know if a good cleaning does the trick.
OK I will. This table is over in my son's shop and my grandsons are running it. I relayed the message to them.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Found out the underside of the rail is cracked causing the problem.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Thanks for posting back, good find.

Once you get it fixed its still a good idea to keep those rails wiped down with a scotchbrite pad and blown clean after each days use to eliminate buildup on the rails.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

That might be a good plan weldguy. In the 10 or 12 years I've run this table I've never wiped them. Maybe that's my problem??
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

This is what the bottom side of the rail looked like.
20220905_164149.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Interesting, I have never seem a rail crack and flake away like that. Almost looks like something hit the rail from the side at some point.
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”