gCode Question

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

gCode Question

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

I am sure these are rookie mistakes...

I have been editing a mach3 post-processor (PP) for my setup and have noticed a few things. I vaguely understand why but I want to fully understand why LOL.

The controller will throw an error code changing G70 to G20 (which I want it to be in inches, and I am still trying to correct that in the PP), but the preview area of the cut shows the piece being cut way too small, but still cuts it to the correct size. For example, the ±85" length I was cutting showed to be roughly 3.3". So if I edit the code before starting to say G20, the preview shows correctly and still cuts correctly. There is also one line of code I have to add to every Post, and it is "S10000" shown above (I assume the number following the S doesn't really matter since it is plasma). If I do not add it, the torch will not fire but will still run through the motion like it was cutting. However, I only have to add it after the first M3, and I want to understand why it is only needed after the first M3 and not after each M3 throughout each cut. I assume once the speed(S) is established, it just knows to keep that speed throughout the cut?!?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: gCode Question

Post by acourtjester »

Ok there are a few things the S command is a speed command for router or laser power output when using a non=Plasma post processor. the reason for it working is it is part of the command structure being that for the g-code to function after the first M3 command it need a speed setting. Appearetrently not needed after the first time.
When editing a post processor be sure it is a plasma one, and that you set the G20 or G21 for either metric or english measurements, AND you select the same when importing in to SheetCam. of you will get a confelect.
plasma 2.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”