What is this part on this sheet bar folder?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

What is this part on this sheet bar folder?

Post by bigcreek »

Does anyone know what this part is used for? It goes with the sheet bar folder but what is its purpose? I know this isnt exactly plasma type stuff but it has to do with sheet metal so hopefully this post doesnt get booted.. Thank you.
stuff 015.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What is this part on this sheet bar folder?

Post by adbuch »

Perhaps some sort of gauge block/plate. Just a guess.
David
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I was in sheetmetal for 36 years and have never seen that piece. Especially associated with a bar folder.
The bar folder serves one purpose and that is to bent a flange or hem of a fixed dimension, usually from about 1/4" - 1". Adjustment is made by turning a knurled knob on the front which moves the back gauge in or out.
My guess is that piece was laying around and someone associated with the bar folder but it serves some other purpose. Unless the original owner can shed some light.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Interesting info tnbndr, that piece does look very custom built. Curious to find our what it is actually for.
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Ok I figured out what this part is. I pulled off the nose bar and as you can see in the pic that part fit right down perfectly into place. It must be the gauge. Unfortunately whatever indicator marks were on it are long gone. I can see how it is supposed to move when adjusted with the adjustment screw but there is so much crud in there it doesnt move too well so I took the entire thing apart piece by piece and am cleaning it up and will paint it. Today I cleaned all the small parts in muriatic acid and tomorrow will take the big parts to be bead blasted. Not sure why it was pulled out to begin with. Perhaps they wanted the sheet metal to go further back into the bar fold. Or perhaps the gauge wasnt adjusting and moving as it should so they just took it out. I dont know. Once I get it totally cleaned up Ill see how it adjusts and moves. One thing I was pleasantly surprised about was every screw on that thing came out effortlessly. I could see the remnants of grease on them. I was expecting them to be welded into place with rust so that was a huge relief. Unfortunately there is a crack in the main housing. It looks like it has been there a long time but I think I will take a piece of 1/2" x 2" bar and drill and tap holes along the bottom of it on both sides of the crack to help support it. That 1/2" flat bar will go along the bottom of the brake. Hopefully it will keep it from getting any worse or if it does at least I wont have to worry about it collapsing. Ill post "after" pics once I get it painted and put back together.
bar folder 067.JPG

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

So I guessed correctly in a round about way when I said "gauge block plate".
David
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Well, that is interesting.!! I have bought many old sheet metal tools and machines and refurbished them but never a bar folder. I always wanted one but they command a good price and have limited use.
I learned something today. Glad you figured it out.
Those old tools were built like tanks and last forever if taken care of.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

adbuch wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:13 am So I guessed correctly in a round about way when I said "gauge block plate".
David
Yes sir you did indeed!
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

tnbndr wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:15 am Well, that is interesting.!! I have bought many old sheet metal tools and machines and refurbished them but never a bar folder. I always wanted one but they command a good price and have limited use.
I learned something today. Glad you figured it out.
Those old tools were built like tanks and last forever if taken care of.
I have never used a bar folder until I got this one. I saw an ad on Craigslist when I was at my sons track meet waiting for his event to start a couple weeks ago. To pass time I opened up Craigslist which I actually hadnt been on in a long time. Well just several minutes prior to me looking at the tools section someone posted an ad for a 4' finger brake for $240 and this bar fold for $140 or $160, I cant remember for sure now. So I immediately call and tell them on my way home from the track meet Ill stop by to check it out. They agreed. Well I paid for the brake but told them I didnt want the bar fold because honestly I didnt even know what it was used for and it looked like junk all covered in rust sitting outside in the weather. Later that night I got on youtube and watched some videos on bar folds being used and was like holy crap I want that because many times in the past I wanted to be able to fold edges when making boxes so they werent sharp. The only way I had was to fold them in the brake as far as I could then hammer them down the rest of the way. So I called him back two days later and this bar fold was still available so I went to pick them up. Id already paid for the finger brake. I asked him how much for the bar fold again as I couldnt exactly remember and he said $200. In my head Im like BS that wasnt the original price, but I didnt argue I just gave him the money. And gladly at that. After seeing what they went for online it was well worth it. Especially for this bar fold which is 36" because most I saw were 30" or shorter. He was 85 years old and lived in a dumpy old trailer so figured he needed the money worse than I did anyway. So that is the story of the bar fold.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Super cool. Please post a couple pics when you get it painted and back together if you have the chance.
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

I will indeed plasmanewbie.
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

bar fold 021.JPG
bar fold 019.JPG
I got it done and it looks a whole heck of alot better than its previous rusty self. Actually I need to flip flop the legs so I can put the tension spring on but I ran out of time tonight.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nice! That looks almost brand new.
David
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Thanks David. Also that piece I was originally wondering what it was it adjusts just fine now with the adjustment screw. When the machine got all rusty they must have decided to pull it out and just get it out of the way instead of cleaning it up and heaven forbid even getting it out of the weather.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

I just saw this post for the first time. Yeah those are awesome. I used one like that for years in a shop that I worked for. Most HVAC shops have them. ( I even own one which I paid $100 for 20 years ago.. could/mt pass it up)
they are used to make fast, repeatable brakes (bends) Those fingers adjust up and back when the gauge wheel is calibrated. usually from about .25" to a max depth of 1"
They are good for custom drives for ductwork that is put together with the "s & Drive) system which still is in use today, but a lot of roll forming machines bust out the same drives super fast.. But do other stuff too. There should be a flip down bump stop gauge on one side that you can swing down to give you a 90 deg. bend as well. Yours looks brand new now. Nice work!

Edit: Just noticed that yours is a Pexto.. Super good machine!! Lasts forever if kept out of the rain which is prolly why yours rusted out so badly
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Good info Doug. There is indeed a bump stop gauge on each side. One of them makes a 90 degree bend and the one on the opposite side makes a 45 degree bend which is something I just learned tonight.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Nice job!!
It's not a tool you are going to use a lot but nice to have none the less.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”