Cutting Corten weathering steel?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Improvise
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cutting Corten weathering steel?

Post by Improvise »

Hi everyone,

I have my first job supplying a sign 2000mm x 1000mm using Cor-ten weathering steel @ 1.6mm thick. I haven't actually cut anything in corten yet and was wondering if this just cuts the same as HR mild steel? and do I just use the same book settings ? Any advice?

Also, while on this topic, I was wondering when cutting aluminium 2mm/3mm thick does anyone use fine cut nozzles rather than the standard nozzle as per the hypertherm book settings. And if so, what settings have they found to be successful. I have a hypertherm 45xp with a refrigerated dryer using sheetcam.

When cutting ali I have found using the book settings with the normal nozzle that the cuts are a bit rough with intricate pieces. I have found the nozzle clogs up quite quickly from the ali splatter and need to keep a very close eye on it.

Thanks!
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Cutting Corten weathering steel?

Post by SeanP »

I've cut a few corten jobs, seems to cut well with same settings as mild steel.

Oh you definitely want to try finecuts, way better than 45a parts on less than 3mm, for mild, galv, stainless and aluminium.
You get cleaner cuts and I find a lot less distortion, I must say the finecut ohmic sheild is a pain in the backside especially on alum and galv, I ditched that and the ohmic setup a good while back, just far to many problems with spatter even on the standard shield, a well balanced switch touch off works a lot better for me.
You can get great cuts on alum up to 5mm with finecuts, next to no dross when setup right.

I cut mild steel 1.6mm at 40a - 6000mm/min
2mm alum 45a - 2900mm/min

Stainless, 3mm when speed is right you get a bronzy/purple edge colour, very little dross, 2mm & 1mm cuts nice as well I even cut .5mm stainless shims they cut really clean.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Improvise
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Improvise »

Thanks Sean.
What do you mean using a well balanced switch touch off?
For cutting 2/3mm aluminium using the fine cut what are your other settings? ie kerf width, pierce delay, pierce height, plunge height, plunge rate, and cut height? Are they the same as the book settings using normal consumable?
Thanks
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I believe what Sean is referring to is your method of initial height sensing (IHS)

He switched from ohmic clip style IHS to a limit switch type IHS and prefers it.

I too prefer the switch style also but either IHS system will work just fine.

Both IHS types have their own little issues so its whatever works best for your application.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Sorry I meant to reply earlier but got distracted again.
Thanks weldguy you explained it well there.
I use a velox z axis and added a couple of small springs to reduce the pressure as it touches down, a bit of stretching of springs and tweeking and it's quite a light pressure, still need to watch it on very thin or lifted sheet, still find it better than ohmic sensing.
Book settings are a good starting point for finecuts.
I drop amps to say 30a on thin stainless less than 1mm.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”