New user advice..

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

New user advice..

Post by cstroke »

Hey all,
As time goes by we seem to forget some of the struggles we've had when we first started plasma cutting. I can clearly remember some of the dumb shit I fought for hours...
How's this for an idea for a thread...
Suggestions for NOOBS... Don't make the same mistakes we did..
Each time you reply to this you list 5 things you wish you would have done differently or done the same..
Off the top of my head list for my first list...
1) Bought the better machine options the first time not the 2nd time( first time I bought a single side drive servo machine instead of dual drive)
2) Stop trying to cut such detailed stuff when you are learning...( so many frustrations so early for no reason)
3)Learn a 3D modeling program as you are going, will help so much with the "making sure it fits" and so easy to show a customer a 3D instead of hoping
they can understand a 2D sketch.
4) Treat the art as more of a hobby and the parts as the business. Art is fun, IMO when it's used to pay the bills you lose some of that...
5) Embrace the struggle, it's what makes it rewarding in the end... Ask questions people love to help, pleases and thank you s go a lot further than you
think...
6) Be fair and generous with your work..( you won't always make what you want or should but repeat customers are worth far more.
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
ROKCRLER

Re: New user advice..

Post by ROKCRLER »

Awesome idea!
  • 1. Study the various tables you might be interested in, cheapest is not always the best move.
  • 2. YouTube is your friend, most all the training you seek is available from various awesome "instructors", be it artsy design, mechanical parts design, etc.
  • 3. Start small on designs and cutting. Frustration and wasted material on trying to jump in head first with big parts... is, well frustrating and costly.
  • 4. Read, search, ask, practice! This site is full of knowledge...guaranteed someone else has already experienced the issues you're having
  • 5. Learn your equipment. Don't assume its all just plug and play. You learn from issues on how to fix and tweak the machine and recover from crashes. Clean your table, its a huge investment!
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

words of wisdom :Like :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Great idea for sure, we have all been there...

1-keep it simple and learn basic machine operation before throwing auto height control in the mix

2-to learn basic machine operation tape or hose clamp a sharpie marker to your torch and practice drawing with that on your table first

3-be sure you have clean dry air and drain your compressor everyday once you start actually cutting metal

4-when you start cutting metal leave the auto height control off and cut simple shapes to start, once successful introduce the height control and master that on simple shapes

5-use you plasma manufacturers cut speed charts as a good starting point for your settings

6-before each job set the machine up for the material your cutting and cut a simple straight line 24" long to be sure everything is working spot on

7-don't trust the numbers on your screen, check your cutting heights manually with feeler gauges and make sure they are spot on

8-visit this link to read some good beginner info viewforum.php?f=202

9-if your frustrated walk away for 30 minutes and then give it another try
cstroke

Post by cstroke »

Don't spit ball a price without a disclaimer...
Be very adamant with the disclaimer and repeat it several times... Here's what I think but won't know until I run it through my program to know for sure..

Just took a little bath on a job when I was pressured for a quick idea on cost. I'll be ok, it's not that big of a deal but it's good practice to be careful with it.. It was a two part job, first part went well but the 2nd part they asked for what I thought I told them, I didn't do as well as I originally thought..
One way I love doing things is to give a "not to exceed price" people seem to love this especially when I can usually come in much cheaper..
Not to exceed $300. I think it'll be closer to $250... Seems to be the most fair way to do things IMO...
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

cstroke wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:00 pm Don't spit ball a price without a disclaimer...
Be very adamant with the disclaimer and repeat it several times... Here's what I think but won't know until I run it through my program to know for sure..

Just took a little bath on a job when I was pressured for a quick idea on cost. I'll be ok, it's not that big of a deal but it's good practice to be careful with it.. It was a two part job, first part went well but the 2nd part they asked for what I thought I told them, I didn't do as well as I originally thought..
One way I love doing things is to give a "not to exceed price" people seem to love this especially when I can usually come in much cheaper..
Not to exceed $300. I think it'll be closer to $250... Seems to be the most fair way to do things IMO...
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”