Design Software

General software related questions should be posted here.
rcktscientist
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Design Software

Post by rcktscientist »

New to this forum, it's a great wealth of knowledge. I have BobCAD and been using it for my design work but it's fairly limited. What other programs are popular? I was considering looking into Corel Draw. Also, are there better CAM software's that specialize in sheet metal I should look at. I have a Torchmate 4X4 table and Hypertherm 65.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Design Software

Post by adbuch »

Fusion 360, Inkscape, and Solid Edge 2022 are all free, seem to be popular here, and are easy to use. Many use SheetCam for cam, and Fusion includes cam as part of the package. Fusion 360 does have a sheet metal module. Many also use CorelDraw for their cad software. CorelDraw 2020 is available at a reasonable price on Amazon.

David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B1 ... UTF8&psc=1
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It depends on what you want to draw or trace. I use a fairly cheap CAD program called "TurboCAD 2018" they have newer version out now. This is for normal 2-D type exact measurement Drawing of parts I want to cut. And Inkscape for more artsy drawing or tracing of images (Free). The exported drawing are then opened in SheetCam for doing the cut planning into G-code. I use the same process for routing, diamond scribe,Pen Plotting, and drag knife (sign vinyl). For laser work I use Lightburn which does many of the same things for image manipulation to etch.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TurboCad is one I had not considered. I will have to check it out. Thanks for that Tom.
David
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

For artistic stuff I use Corel and for mechanical parts I use Fusion, I used to use Corel for both. Fusion makes mechanical parts so much easier but very cumbersome for artistic stuff. Corel would do it all for you but if its strictly mechanical Fusion would be my choice.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

For most of my mechanical stuff I use an older version of AutoCad quite a bit, and also Bricscad and Design Edge. But I do like Fusion 360, and the fact that it is free is a big plus for many. I am just learning CorelDraw and as I mentioned above the price is very reasonable for a stand-alone single seat license. There are just so many different choices that it is sometimes hard to decide which one to use for a particular project.
David
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

I have been using turbocad, works well for me tho I am thinking of learning fusion 360
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

cutnweld wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:51 pm I have been using turbocad, works well for me tho I am thinking of learning fusion 360
I highly recommend these Fusion 360 tutorial lessons from Arnold Rowntree. I went thru them several years ago and they really helped me.
David

Return to “General Discussion”