Losing steps or electronic interference?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Losing steps or electronic interference?

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

Hey guys me again, As iv solved my issue from my other post with tuning CV settings in mach3, iv now ran into another issue iv never had before and not sure if my table is losing steps or maybe electronic interference somewhere...

Iv cut this exact file before with all holes lining up until today.. its a 2 plate project and match up 100% on fusion360 and have cut ones that have lined up before so that's were im lost.. The first holes lineup perfect and the more you go down the plate they start to un align, the end there 1/8 out... The backplate is a simple cutout with not many cuts just some holes and the cutout but then the top plate has a lot more cuts and not sure if that's causing steps to be lost or what.. The parts are cut long length ways down the X Axis and the width is running the y Axis

Mach3 C94 - UC300 ETH
DM542 Stepper drivers
NEMA 23 425 Oz motor
X-Y Belt driven with tensioners - TIGHT
Z Axis Ballscrew
Primeweld Cut60 - 35amps

Files were cut at 2150 MM/Min

here is showing them lined up in fusion360:
thumbnail_image1.jpg
thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg
What my latest cut turned out, 5 minutes in-between cuts and the end holes line up perfect width wise but at the front are 1/8th out..
thumbnail_image2.jpg
Mach3 Axis settings:
X Axis
Xaxis.jpg
Y Axis
Yaxis.jpg
Z Axis
Zaxis.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Losing steps or electronic interference?

Post by acourtjester »

First thing to also check is the overall size of the part in the direction of the holes being off. and the sizes of the octagon in 2 direction (x size matching the y size). I would think you have a slippage in the drive for that direction (either X or Y). It is not very much now but will increase if that what it is. mount a sharpie to the torch and mark on paper until you find the reason.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

acourtjester wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:22 pm First thing to also check is the overall size of the part in the direction of the holes being off. and the sizes of the octagon in 2 direction (x size matching the y size). I would think you have a slippage in the drive for that direction (either X or Y). It is not very much now but will increase if that what it is. mount a sharpie to the torch and mark on paper until you find the reason.
The sharpie trick is what im gonna try later on today! also I actually measured the cutouts in the plate along with the length of parts and there 1/8inch off, the top plate with more cuts and moves is is slightly longer! never thought of measuring the actual hexagons to see if x matchs y will do that aswell!

iv been able to cut these exact same files, same speed same everything but this time the top plate doesn't line up, which makes me think its not steps but maybe something else like slippage or electronic interference

Appreciate the reply!!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

the only thing I have seen with electronics interference is false limit/home switch triggers, causing the operation to stop. :Sad
With the sharpie you want to draw circles and squares. A square will tell you which axis is slipping and the circle will be out of round.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”