Shifting Priorities, building window storm shields

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Shifting Priorities, building window storm shields

Post by Joe Jones »

A recent tornado storm passed over Franklin, KY. several days ago. I got off easy, with only a need for a new roof on my home. Thankfully, my insurance will cover the claim with a $5K deductible. My shop buildings also suffered, as well as my 12x20 wooden lawnmower shed. :Sad

With everything else that I have been trying to muster the energy to do, I now know that I cannot wait any longer. I have to build fold down steel storm shields for all of the windows. I have a design, and a general idea of how I am going to do this, but I am working out the mechanics of using linear actuators to deploy the shields, and remotely if possible.

I cannot decide whether to make them all stainless steel, which means there would be little maintenance after the initial installation, or if I should cut steel with my cnc machine for a decorative touch, and powder coat the whole mess. They would normally be folded up, so they would only be visible when the shields are deployed. Stainless isn't "pretty" but it sure does eliminate the rust issues.

I have (30) 39"x79" windows to cover, so this is going to be 'Spensive, Lucy! At $500.00 each, this is a $15K project I did not need right now. I figure I will save a lot in the long run, because these double pane vinyl windows are also not cheap to replace or repair.

I have a design with four panels that fold up Accordian style, but I am thinking that eight panels would not protrude from the house as far. Ugh ... 240 panel segments to build :Wow

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Shifting Priorities

Post by acourtjester »

Bummer Joe, after the last big Hurricane we had storm shutters installed they are Accordion type wither anodized or powder coated aluminum work great. Also change to a metal roof too.
DSCN5008.JPG
shutters.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I designed my own. They will lift into a small box mounted to the exterior of the wall. The 14 gauge stainless steel panels will fan fold up into the box, and drop down via 12VDC linear actuators that will lock them down. One flip of a switch will lower all 16 window shields. The metal will be cnc cut to add SOME design to the faces, so it isn't just plain stainless sheet metal. :-? This is gonna be 'Spensive, Lucy!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Ah that sucks Joe. Never ends man. Wish you all the best with getting fixed up and prepared for future storms.
cnckamikawa
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by cnckamikawa »

It sounds like you have been through a lot due to the recent tornado storm that passed over Franklin, KY. I'm glad to hear that you and your family are safe, even though you suffered damage to your home and property.

Building fold-down steel storm shields for all of the windows is a great idea to protect your property from future storms. It's understandable that you are trying to decide whether to make the shields from stainless steel or to cut steel with your CNC machining parts for a decorative touch and powder coat the whole project. Ultimately, it will depend on your personal preference and the level of maintenance you are willing to put into it.

It's also understandable that this project will be expensive, given the number of windows you have to cover. However, I agree with your assessment that it will save you money in the long run by protecting your windows from future damage.

It sounds like you have a good design in mind for the panels, and I'm sure you will be able to work out the mechanics of using linear actuators to deploy the shields. Building 240 panel segments will certainly be a lot of work, but I'm confident that you will be able to complete this project and protect your property from future storms. Good luck!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I decided on SIX panels per window, 180 panels in all. That is still a lot of work, but I will make a jig to hold the pieces, so they should all weld together correctly, uniformly, and easily. Yes, it will be stainless. I don't want to be out there on ladders chasing RUST!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”