plasma cutting thick aluminum plate

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
plasmabay
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

plasma cutting thick aluminum plate

Post by plasmabay »

Looking for advice on cutting 1/2" and 3/4" aluminum plate ... I realize this may be pushing the limit of what plasma can do, I have a smaller diy table and have had success cutting 1/4" aluminum plate.

For these thicker plates, the designs I need to do are simple shapes, nothing too intricate or small.

Amps, air pressure, ipm? Is preheating the plate a silly idea or might that help? Would love to see some pics / setups of those who cut thick Al regularly.

Thanks!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: plasma cutting thick aluminum plate

Post by adbuch »

Here is some information you may find helpful.
David

https://espritautomation.com/plasma-cutting-aluminium/
cutting aluminum.jpg
https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/resour ... -aluminum/
cutting aluminum 1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Very good info David. Thanks!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I used to cut a lot of 1/2 aluminum with decent results. If you using a Hypertherm plasma you can just go with the book specs and so long as you have good air quality and the plate wasn't out in the cold all night you should get decent results. You will find that as you cut parts and get more heat in to the plate things will start to cut better but I have never bothered to preheat the plate.
plasmabay
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmabay »

Thanks all for the replies!
plasmabay
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmabay »

weldguy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:41 am I used to cut a lot of 1/2 aluminum with decent results. If you using a Hypertherm plasma you can just go with the book specs and so long as you have good air quality and the plate wasn't out in the cold all night you should get decent results. You will find that as you cut parts and get more heat in to the plate things will start to cut better but I have never bothered to preheat the plate.
My only gripe with thick Al plasma cutting is the cuts look like a cat chewed it off, vs steel. lol good grief. Did you have to sand/grind the edges of your cuts afterwards? It's really a rough finish imo.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

plasmabay wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:11 pm
weldguy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:41 am I used to cut a lot of 1/2 aluminum with decent results. If you using a Hypertherm plasma you can just go with the book specs and so long as you have good air quality and the plate wasn't out in the cold all night you should get decent results. You will find that as you cut parts and get more heat in to the plate things will start to cut better but I have never bothered to preheat the plate.
My only gripe with thick Al plasma cutting is the cuts look like a cat chewed it off, vs steel. lol good grief. Did you have to sand/grind the edges of your cuts afterwards? It's really a rough finish imo.
Yes, the edge had a granular and porous look, not nice looking or smooth like steel. I was always cutting blanks that were to be machined, basically just getting the general shape and dimension to eliminate a lot of machining on the mill.
plasmabay
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmabay »

weldguy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:17 pm
plasmabay wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:11 pm
Yes, the edge had a granular and porous look, not nice looking or smooth like steel. I was always cutting blanks that were to be machined, basically just getting the general shape and dimension to eliminate a lot of machining on the mill.
Ok thanks yep that's what I'm seeing also. From what I've learned, aluminum better to be milled / cut with routers and woodworking tools is about the best route. Or a cnc router. Don't know if water jet makes a nicer cut in thick aluminum or not.

Also wonder about using nitrogen or h2o instead of air when plasma cutting Al.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”