$10K 10' Table + Cutter Setup?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
butane
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

$10K 10' Table + Cutter Setup?

Post by butane »

Hi everyone,

I am interested in purchasing a CNC plasma cutting table to bring this capability in-house and reduce outsourcing costs. I have a budget of $10k and am looking for suggestions on reliable brands and models that can accommodate my production needs.

I was initially interested in the CrossFire XR table, but unfortunately, they do not offer a table in the 10' length that I require. I am open to considering a table that is slightly shorter if it can still meet my requirements for plate thickness and other features.

My ideal table would be able to handle a maximum plate thickness of around 7/8" and come equipped with software or a control system that is easy to use and can integrate with my existing metalworking operations.

If you have any recommendations for specific brands or models that fit within my budget and can meet these requirements, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you in advance for your help!
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: $10K 10' Table + Cutter Setup?

Post by weldguy »

Not sure there are a lot of options in a 10' table in your desired price range but one that come to mind is the Samson table. It's a PlasmaCam table but 5x10 and painted red, not a heavy frame build but the motion controls and software works really well and many folks here love it. May not do it all in for 10K but maybe you can, you would have to price it out with them.
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SRdesign »

STV sells one. I do not own one but the reviews I have found seem positive.
https://stvcnc.com/product/sparx-pro-cn ... sma-table/
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:34 am Not sure there are a lot of options in a 10' table in your desired price range but one that come to mind is the Samson table. It's a PlasmaCam table but 5x10 and painted red, not a heavy frame build but the motion controls and software works really well and many folks here love it. May not do it all in for 10K but maybe you can, you would have to price it out with them.
Weldguy - that's some good advise! The new Sampson 510 would be out of his price range, but there are often nice used ones for sale at very reasonable prices. The Plasmacam facebook groups would be the place to look. Also many expand the size of their smaller Plasmacam 4x4 or even 2x2 up to 4x8 or larger. This is well documented for someone looking to do it. The Plasmacam Design Edge software and control system is first rate, and more than makes up for the frame not being as heavy as some of the welded up tables.

David
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

With that budget, I would go used. If you are cutting 7/8 look for one that has a heavy frame and heavy gantry. Light frames and gantry will need to be reinforced if it runs all day every day cutting heavy steel.

Be prepared to spend more time on it and more money on parts than new (operating costs will be higher).

Make sure you can get parts for it.

Super nice if whatever company still supports it too.

If the business is profitable you can get by with it for a bit and then upgrade when able.

If you are making money with it, and paying employees to run it, consider buying a $30k table with $20k facility setup costs (take out a loan). The labor of running a table is the largest cost, unless you are the labor and you are working for free at the moment in expectations of it paying off later (bootstrapping is a good way to go, got to be careful of debt too - the banks certainly take their share if you let them)

Good luck!
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I cannot speak for the other manufacturers, but the Samson 510 table with the hyperTherm 85 plasma cutter and a machine torch would work well. You would have to add the three main upgrades, Advanced Design Upgrade, Advanced Machine Upgrade and Advanced Height Control Upgrade to get the machine you want. However, at PlasmaCam's NEW price you won't touch this machine and the extras mentioned above for $10K. $22K will get you a nice machine and awesome software.

If you purchase a used Samson 510 table, you might find one with the three software upgrades, and maybe then buy a HyperTherm 85 and Machine torch, but you are STILL in the $16K range.

If this is for a business, the worst possible thing you can do is to buy a cheap table, hoping to maximize your profits. You may save on the initial purchase, but you will be cursing the machine and the crappy software that comes with it each time you use it.

I teach DesignEdge software online and in person. That is the proprietary software that runs the PlasmaCam and Samson 510 tables.

The right table, with the right plasma cutter and the right software will quickly pay for itself IF you are serious about using this as a business tool.

Where are you located?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I agree with Joe on this one! The days of $10k 5x10 tables including cutter are long gone. Expect to pay double that for a decent table that size not including the plasma cutter. As I said previously - perhaps look for a second hand Sampson 510. If you do, unless it comes with the "Big 3" software upgrades, expect to add on another $4k for the software upgrades - Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, and both levels of Advanced Height Control.

By the way the OP (an unregistered user) has not been active on this forum in over a month, so I seriously doubt he will be back to heed our "words of wisdom".

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yeah ... I noticed the post date after I replied. I just got back from my trip to CommieFornia. My brother-in-law's funeral is done and now I will have to deal with my sister's future situation.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Ive had the plasmacam 4x4 and their Sampson counterpart 5x10 and currently am running a ArcLight Dynamics table. I love the Plasmacam software but their tables are a million miles behind the stoutness of my current Arclight Dynamics table. I am not dissing Plasmacam. Their tables made me alot of money and they have their place. But if I was cutting alot of heavy plate I would go with the Arclight Dynamics table or a table of similar heavy build every time over a plasmacam. Again Plasmacam was great, but I would never go back to one of their tables. I do still use their software however, so that tells you how much I do like their software. My Arclight was over $30k though so well over the $10k but as has been said used tables can be found for close to your budget if you can be patient enough.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The JD SQUARED plasma tables are built like tanks. PlasmaCam went with the minimalist design. They expect you to SET plate onto the table and LIFT it off, not DROP plate onto the grates. If you place the edge of a heavy plate onto the edge of a PlasmaCam table and then try to push the plate onto the grates from one end, yes, the lightweight design of the PlasmaCam frame will rear its ugly head. The PlasmaCam tables were designed to SUPPORT the weight of heavy plate PLACED onto the grates, but not to withstand a forced, high friction side loading of a 2" thick trench plate being pushed onto the table from one end with a forklift, for example.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I just want to see pictures from someone showing me when the table failed due to weight or normal use. Barring extremely gross negligence, I doubt anyone will ever be piping in with a table that has failed despite the constant theme to discuss how lightweight they are. Just an observation.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:02 am I just want to see pictures from someone showing me when the table failed due to weight or normal use. Barring extremely gross negligence, I doubt anyone will ever be piping in with a table that has failed despite the constant theme to discuss how lightweight they are. Just an observation.
Robert - I seem to remember Mick loading and cutting some pretty heavy plate material on his 510. I never heard that he had any problems. I remember seeing an image from Plasmacam showing more than 10 one inch thick plates stacked on the table and it was well under the vertical load limit. So I heartily agree with you.

David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:09 am
rdj357 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:02 am I just want to see pictures from someone showing me when the table failed due to weight or normal use. Barring extremely gross negligence, I doubt anyone will ever be piping in with a table that has failed despite the constant theme to discuss how lightweight they are. Just an observation.
Robert - I seem to remember Mick loading and cutting some pretty heavy plate material on his 510. I never heard that he had any problems. I remember seeing an image from Plasmacam showing more than 10 one inch thick plates stacked on the table and it was well under the vertical load limit. So I heartily agree with you.

David
I often cut 3/4 and 1" plate with my 5x10. I do use 4x8 sheets as the extra is not necessary for me to stock but I would not hesitate to load a full 5x10 sheet of 1" should the need arise. Not for a second.
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

I would not be afraid to load full sheet of plate on plasma cam. If you are cutting lots of thick plates, however, you will want a machine that you can side load with a fork lift. My rails are several inches lower than my table so I can drop a sheet on then push it straight with my forks.... my table gets quite a bit of that side pushing with heavy plate on it... if my frame was the same weight and structure as a brand mentioned here it would be a 6" high pile on the floor. Not to dice the tables they make, I have seen them, I have run them a little, and they will work well if you carefully handle sheet and plate onto them. I have yet to see one in a truly industrial shop.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”