Cutting 1mm steel sheet on a Primeweld (cnc)

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
WrineX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting 1mm steel sheet on a Primeweld (cnc)

Post by WrineX »

Hi im new here and i have several questions about cut quality!

Let me first tell you what i use and why, and what i would love to do.

Well i am Joppe Peelen and have a small Youtube Channel about exotic loudspeakers i make as much as i can self(including drivers since i make weird speakers) i thought a plasma cutter might be nice to cut prototypes for my planar magnetic speakers. they dont have to be perfect ! but usable and then i could order laser cut versions if needed.

So far i build my own cnc router years ago and use it ever since, and even makes my income at the moment with a product i make mostly on the cnc.

a month ago i bought a cheap plasma to give it a try but with the HF start and drag tip i decided this is not gone work, my electronics go beserk and i dont want a drag tip, so i bought a Primeweld 60S a week ago an connected it to the cnc. i dont have height controll or arc ok signal... (its on the plasma but did not connect it) so it starts and stops.....

Here is a playlist of the current test phase (might explain some of my troubles, and train of thought)

I had the following questions

- What is the best affordable CAM software for plasma ? since i use cambam right now and i dont have enough control on lead ins and outs i think.

- I use the torch that came with the machine and i wonder are there any consumables for more delicate work ? since i make parts out of thin sheet with small holes and details (4-9mm)

- 1mm steel sheet with allot of holes tends to warp, any ideas about countering that ?

- as seen in the video i seem to have problems with acceleration or delay. oval shapes always look a bit weird. so do holes. there is always a piercing hole visible even with lead ins and outs (tangent)

i have faaaaaaar more questions, and probably many new ones after a reply.. but this will do for now :)

Thanks in advance and for all the interesting stuff here !!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting 1mm steel sheet on a Primeweld (cnc)

Post by djreiswig »

Check out SheetCam.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Sheetcam is definitely a good suggestion. There are many users here, and I think the Sheetcam Forum offers great support as well. I think the cost is around $150.

David

https://www.sheetcam.com/Register/purchase
sheetcam.jpg
WrineX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by WrineX »

So sheetcam it is ! thanks !
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

You can get a trial license that will let you test it out. It's fully functional, but the gcode is limited to 150 lines.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

WrineX
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by WrineX »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:50 pm You can get a trial license that will let you test it out. It's fully functional, but the gcode is limited to 150 lines.

oh nice !! will try it out first see if i can improve some things an then buy it !

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”