baleigh g-code speed rate adjustment between holes

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

baleigh g-code speed rate adjustment between holes

Post by arnegrant »

Hello,

Baleigh 5x10 water table with a 120 amp thermal dynamics plasma torch running compressed air. I mostly run fastcam because that is what I am used to, but have run the bobcam that the machine comes with as well.

I can get everything I need out of this machine, but I want a little more. We currently run mostly 1/2" mild steel plate and cut alot of 5/8" diameter holes in it. The edges of the plates are square. There is no dross (no cleanup required). I am cutting right with the right side of the torch.

To get the bevel out of the hole, we run a punch through after plasma cutting using an ironworker (this gives us a true 5/8" diameter hole, as the top of the hole is 5/8" from the plasma table but the bottom of the hole is maybe 17/32" diameter.

The way the software is set up on this table, you can give it custom g-code files and it takes them just fine - but it won't take speed commands from the g-code.

Does anyone know a way to slow down or otherwise get better hole quality? We can run the holes at one speed, temporarily stop the process, and then start the holes but it is a big pain when you are cutting alot of parts in one sheet to sit there and start and stop all the time.

I have asked Baleigh but they don't reply (I think the answer is in the question, the machine sets the speed at the console and it automatically adjusts the speed around arcs / holes of a certain diameter so why change it more).

Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind running all my holes through another process, but it would be a timesaver for sure.

Best, Arne
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: baleigh g-code speed rate adjustment between holes

Post by adbuch »

Arne - if you are cutting all your parts from a single sheet at the same time, why not just have one program for the holes and another for the outer perimeter of the parts. Then set the speed for each manually. You are right, the holes will come out better if cut slower.
David
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

That's a good idea but geez, I get pretty nervous that something will go wrong and I'll bump the sheet or something and lose my zero.

Dang steel is pretty expensive...

I will think on that one a bit.

Thank you for your input!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

arnegrant wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:55 pm That's a good idea but geez, I get pretty nervous that something will go wrong and I'll bump the sheet or something and lose my zero.

Dang steel is pretty expensive...

I will think on that one a bit.

Thank you for your input!
Maybe clamp you sheet down to prevent movement, and you can always use a sharpie holder on your torch to draw your file first - just to make sure it is what you want. Like a trial run, but with no chance for material waste.
David
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

I spent a few more hours going through the manuals last night (we have been running this machine for a year and a half and I ended up with enough gumption to just try and get it a little better).

I circled back and asked Baleigh again if they could help - maybe they will give me this password and I can try to adjust the SPEED BELOW RADIUS setting, or if they could give me a line to add to the g-code the table would accept to reduce speed, or if they would send someone out to help if someone knew how to adjust.

Small arc limit.jpg
Password.jpg
If that doesn't get resolution, then I will tack weld the sheet down so it doesn't move and cut the holes first and the profile second so it doesn't move and give it a go that way.

It is a good table and cuts very well. Our shop tolerance is 1/16" and we get it all the time usually on the first try (except at the back side of holes). The top side of the sheet is always much closer than that, maybe even better than 1/32" usually on the first try- so it is hard to complain about a little hole angularity on a $30,000 machine that would be in the six digits to get better tolerance with a laser or a punch / plasma table.

Thanks much! Very appreciated.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

I emailed Baliegh again today. They were very responsive!

Perhaps some more people in the office than the last times we tried.

I got the password to the lock screen, no luck there.

Their service rep seems to think that I need to add a post processor onto Bobcad and it may resolve the issue.

We will see!

Thanks again
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

slow on circles under xxx.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Are you saying that the password they gave you doesn't work? If so, then I would press them on that issue. I think you will need more than simply another post processor, but you never know. What cad/cam are you using to create your programs?
David
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

The password that they gave me worked (1396 if someone needs it on their machine, they appear to be the same for everything)

The SMALL ARC LIMIT option simply does not exist on the screen past the password (the manual and the operating system I have appear to be off a slightly different revision)

I have gone through the rest of the screens a number of times and the option is not presented that I can see.
Last edited by arnegrant on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

adbuch wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:24 am I think you will need more than simply another post processor, but you never know. What cad/cam are you using to create your programs?
David
I am not the first one from my company that has tried, and this is not the first time that I have tried, you may be right that a post processor won't do the trick.

I mostly run fastnest. We use that on two other piranha tables and it is very quick at taking geometry from Autocad .dwgs and moving it to a g-code text file.

The table comes with a copy of bobcam. We can get it to work fine with that program, I am just not very fast with that program, although I am stumbling through as time permits to see if the g-code with the post processor shows the feed rate in a different than standard format that the machine will recognize at the console (the feed rates / speeds as we have been running them are set at the console and the console adjusts them up or down based on its settings which appear hard coded and not adjustable for "larger" holes that are really "small holes" in thicker material)

I have tried putting in standard g-code speeds manually and the machine just ignores it and cuts the geometry presented using the console entered speeds which are automatically adjusted by set parameters that do not appear adjustable.

Thank you for the assistance, I will keep you updated -- I am currently trying to get the bobcam software, with the post processor, to generate a file with adjusted speeds (and I am not fast at that)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Good Luck!!
David
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

Solved (pending verification).

1. The post processor did nothing.

2. It took quite a bit of calling but eventually I reached a very knowledgeable fellow named David:

David Clouthier
Customer Success Manager
dclouthier@bobcad.com
Phone:727-306-2139
Fax: 727-442-1773

He knew what I was asking, and simply said that alot of people asked for adjusting the speed at corners so they added it to Version 34 of BobCad (it is simply not in Version 32 that I had). Bobcad comes with the Baleigh tables. It seems that they have the knowledge on how the software runs.

For a few dollars more, we can (hopefully) slow the table down with an upgraded version. Once I know the g-code format the machine takes, I will post it up here for future reference.

I have heard mixed reviews of the baliegh plasma tables. We have run the snot out of ours for a year and a half and it just keeps going. We cut structural steels from 3/16" to 1.5" thick on it. Heavy structural use.

We did wreck one bearing, but they covered it under warrantee. On hind sight, I think the bearing was wrecked because the torch was coming down hard on the sheet for a half year or so. I originally ran the ground of the plasma cutter to the sheet instead of to the table frame ground per the Baleigh instruction manual (we now have the plasma cutter grounded to both the table ground lug on the frame and a regular clamp type ground that we put on the sheet).

The Baliegh field service rep who was not as familiar with the software and g-code but was very responsive and helpful is:

JIM R. O’LEARY
SERVICE TECHNICIAN

PHONE (920) 684-4990 l FAX (920) 684-3944
1625 DUFEK DRIVE | MANITOWOC, WI 54220
jroleary@jpwindustries.com

These two contacts would have saved us some time earlier, but hopefully slowing the table down a bit on the corner radius's that are bigger than 1/2" diameter will help that. (The stand alone software auto slows down for holes less than 1/2" diameter based on the table console set speeds, but they don't have adjustment for it that I have found at least).

We don't run the table every day. We do run the table every week, sometimes every day for a week. We cut between one and four sheets per day with sized of plates between 5"x5" and 24"x24" (shapes that look like column base plates mostly.)

I would buy it again. Especially now that we know some more of the fine points of making it run.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

arnegrant wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:30 pm Solved (pending verification).

1. The post processor did nothing.

2. It took quite a bit of calling but eventually I reached a very knowledgeable fellow named David:

David Clouthier
Customer Success Manager
dclouthier@bobcad.com
Phone:727-306-2139
Fax: 727-442-1773

He knew what I was asking, and simply said that alot of people asked for adjusting the speed at corners so they added it to Version 34 of BobCad (it is simply not in Version 32 that I had). Bobcad comes with the Baleigh tables. It seems that they have the knowledge on how the software runs.

For a few dollars more, we can (hopefully) slow the table down with an upgraded version. Once I know the g-code format the machine takes, I will post it up here for future reference.

I have heard mixed reviews of the baliegh plasma tables. We have run the snot out of ours for a year and a half and it just keeps going. We cut structural steels from 3/16" to 1.5" thick on it. Heavy structural use.

We did wreck one bearing, but they covered it under warrantee. On hind sight, I think the bearing was wrecked because the torch was coming down hard on the sheet for a half year or so. I originally ran the ground of the plasma cutter to the sheet instead of to the table frame ground per the Baleigh instruction manual (we now have the plasma cutter grounded to both the table ground lug on the frame and a regular clamp type ground that we put on the sheet).

The Baliegh field service rep who was not as familiar with the software and g-code but was very responsive and helpful is:

JIM R. O’LEARY
SERVICE TECHNICIAN

PHONE (920) 684-4990 l FAX (920) 684-3944
1625 DUFEK DRIVE | MANITOWOC, WI 54220
jroleary@jpwindustries.com

These two contacts would have saved us some time earlier, but hopefully slowing the table down a bit on the corner radius's that are bigger than 1/2" diameter will help that. (The stand alone software auto slows down for holes less than 1/2" diameter based on the table console set speeds, but they don't have adjustment for it that I have found at least).

We don't run the table every day. We do run the table every week, sometimes every day for a week. We cut between one and four sheets per day with sized of plates between 5"x5" and 24"x24" (shapes that look like column base plates mostly.)

I would buy it again. Especially now that we know some more of the fine points of making it run.
Thanks for your detailed response. This may certainly help someone else in the future if they run into the same problem.
David

:Like :Like :Like
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

Okay, well that was a dead end.

The bobcam program currently does not put out feed rates in the g-code for the baleigh machine. It appears that feeds are disabled.

I have found out a bit more though, the full cnc manual can be found here (its the F2000 controller that baleigh uses)

http://www.flcnc.com/page1000094?_l=en& ... =130&brd=1

Through studying that a bit there are three possibilities:

1. Enable the feed and manually put in the feeds in the g-code.

2. Enable the feed and bobcam adds in the g-code generator with their software.

3. Get the options for the feed to show up at the console. Their is an option to have the radius auto slow down local, for some reason it is not showing up on my console.... the more thorough manual says this
Screenshot_20220711-201454_Office.jpg

arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

I am just not sure how to RELOAD A CUTTING FILE

They don't appear to be sure either, but I am thinking they are working on it (they have been very responsive)

Also, big bonus - looks like they sell a remote control, that would be a step saver for sure!!!
SmartSelect_20220711-202831_Office.jpg

arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

That remote control is going to be so nice less than 150 too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284872438819
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Of those three options, which one are you going to pursue?
David
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

Waiting for a reply still, whichever is the easiest. Hopefully 3 and that's that.

A fellow employee was trying to figure this out about a year ago and they stopped responding or he got sick of trying (this controller with a thermal dynamics cutmaster A120 cuts as good or better already then the torchmate we used to run and the other two piranha tables we run now)

It's just trying to get better and make as good of a part as we can with the least work at this point.

Plus I think this kind of stuff is "frustrating fun"

Also I learn alot more about options when studying the manuals again and again. There is a lot to know for being just a 2d process.
Last edited by arnegrant on Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

arnegrant wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:13 pm Waiting for a reply still, whichever is the easiest. Hopefully 3 and that's that.

A fellow employee was trying to figure this out about a year ago and they stopped responding or he got sick of trying (this controller with a thermal dynamics cutmaster A120 cuts as good or better already then the torchmate we used to run and the other two piranha tables we run now)

It's just trying to get better and make as good of a part as we can with the least work at this point.

Plus I think this kind of stuff is "frustrating fun"

Also learn another more about options when you study the manuals again and again. There is a lot to know for being just a 2d process.
:Like :Like :Like
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

SOLVED! For real this time.

For the G command, it looks like it is just an added F….. with the speed after it taken by line of command. The console appears to take either mm per or inches per for a rate, based on what the console is set at.
1.png
I poked around more and more, and I found another spot that toggles on the fields. I am able to set the speeds locally, or the speeds in the g code now. I am going to order the remote control off ebay.

Bobcam is going to program it into their post processor so that the file is generated with speeds.

Both Bobcam and Baleigh are VERY responsive. This table has many options, and can really get dialed in. Jim of Baleigh noted that it has so many options that people get confused with them all and end up causing themselves issues sometimes, I can see how that would happen.

My old man (gone for 30 years now) said its a poor craftsmen that blames his tools. Its one of those old sayings that holds true whether a hand planer or a three axis multi process cam system.

Here are the screen shots to the settings, for your reference.

F5 Diagnose
2.png
F8 System Definition
3.png
F3 Define
4.png
Password 1396
5.png

Option 1 has the F code forbidden (mine was set to ignore the F instruction) I set this from yes to no. Note that this screen indicates to change after changing units.
6.png
Option 2 has the small arc limit, which toggles on the local console speed for what holes are affected, and what rate to cut them at
7.png
Options then show up for adjustment of hole speed from defaults
8.png
Very nice, very robust system with many options. I appreciate you helping me in the process to find these. I have a stack of 5/8" plates to cut. I will post results in the next couple of weeks.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Your perseverance has paid off! Good for you for sticking with it, and I'm happy that you discovered the solution to your problem.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

That's fantastic, nice work and thanks for posting your solution :Like :Like
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

Results on 60x 15.5" square 5/8" mild steel (A572) plates with four holes each out of 4'x8' plates.

60 amps, 14 inches per minute speed typical, 10 inches per minute at holes (lower amperage and slow to get good hole quality and make consumables last longer - my thermal dynamics A120 goes up to 120 amps)

13/16" diameter hole (0.8125") for 3/4" thread rod (0.750" od)
1/16" shop tolerance (0.0625)
Max hole at top 0.87" (+0.0575 acceptable)
Min hole at bot 0.775" (-0.0375" acceptable)

No need for post processing. Don't need to sit and babysit it either, which is super nice.

TOP PLATE
TOP PL.jpg
BOTT PLATE
BOTT PL.jpg
CLOSE UP OF HOLE
CLOSE UP HOLE.jpg
MAX 0.87 TOP
MAX .87 TOP.jpg
MIN 0.775 BOTT
MIN .775 BOTT.jpg
TABLE, PLATE STACKS, LOADING POWER JIB CRANE
TABLE, PLATE STACKS.jpg
SWAMP COOLER
SWAMP COOLER.jpg
78 IN SHOP (HAD THREE TO FOUR PEOPLE WELDING AND TABLE RUNNING ALL DAY)
78 IN SHOP.jpg
90 OUTSIDE
90 OUTSIDE.jpg
Thanks again for the help, and support with this.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nice looking cuts! Thanks for the additional photos.
David
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

Thank you, coming from you I think that means something.

I'm tickled pink this is all working. I'm on the last plate of the job and the last plate of the day!

Finished plate
Finished plate.jpg
If the table isn't smoken its broken
Smoking (2).jpg
Halloween skeletons
Halloween skelotons.jpg

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”