Dross between shield and tip causing Z diving

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
chadmjohn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Dross between shield and tip causing Z diving

Post by chadmjohn »

I'm running an everlast 50s with a machine torch on a custom table (not a major brand). I'm having issues with my THC (CandCNC / CommandCNC) diving at odd intervals and in every instance what I've found is dross build up between the tip and shield.

When cutting I have topside sparks projecting in the direction of the cut and I do get very good cuts, except for this instance.

The shield for this torch is one for the PM60 torches shown below. To me it's a strange design as the air holes on the perimeter of the shield are 're-directed' by the shield ring (I hope this makes sense). All other shields I've seen have the air holes pointing directly toward the material.

To be quite honest, the only reason I'm using this shield is for ohmic sensing. I was considering putting the shield in the lath and turning down the 'ring' around the bottom to allow the jets to hit the material. Any suggestions on if this would be better or worse would be appreciated.

Has anyone here had their THC dive due to build-up between the nozzle and the THC sensor tip / shield body?
20220906_140453.jpg
20220906_140453.jpg (42.97 KiB) Viewed 937 times
20220906_140507.jpg
20220906_140511.jpg
20220906_140515.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Dross build-up between shield and tip causing Z diving

Post by adbuch »

You could try coating your consumables with anti-spatter coating.
David
Jim colt Anti spatter.jpg
chadmjohn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by chadmjohn »

Thanks. I do use welding anti-spatter and the table is tuned well. It will be cutting beautifully then suddenly crash, drag and only cut partially through. When I look, there is a lot of dross bridging the shield and tip. What I don't know is does this build up happen because of the crash or does the build up cause the crash???
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Perhaps try raising your cut height slightly to see if this helps.
David
chadmjohn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by chadmjohn »

Here is a video I put together about the compressor setup. From the compressor head output, it goes through a fan driven heat exchanger. the fittings on the head are approximately 200F and when it exits the heat exchanger it is down to ambient temp, the water is then removed via an air water separator before it enters the tank.

On the way out of the tank it goes through a three stage air - water / oil separation (2 stages) and then a desiccant before going to a final air/water separator on the back of the plasma cutter. The desiccant stays blue and there is never even so much as a drop of water in the separator on the cutter.

I'd love to hear your input to help identify where this may be coming from.

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Dross between shield and tip causing Z diving

Post by weldguy »

Looks like a robust air cleaning and drying setup. I don't expect that air quality has anything to do with dross accumulating between the nozzle and the shield. It is likely that the buildup happens during the piercing process, could try piercing higher and making sure that it is not piercing any longer than it needs to.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

That is a very odd shield design. I would do some research to find another option.
In my opinion the buildup would be causing the crash as the machine would seek to increase voltage by lowering the torch, thus the crash.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

From the image it looks like you have a DIY ohmic sensor touch, is it possible the pierce height could be too low. I would do some non fire G-code tests to check the actual pierce height.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
chadmjohn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by chadmjohn »

tnbndr wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:46 am That is a very odd shield design. I would do some research to find another option.
In my opinion the buildup would be causing the crash as the machine would seek to increase voltage by lowering the torch, thus the crash.
I agree, but it's the ONLY thing I could find for a PT60 style machine torch used by my Everlast 50s. It's very strange to me that there are air holes above that 'disk' which essentially shoot air 'sideways' away from the nozzle. Maybe in some attempt to create a low pressure zone helping evacuate sparks?????

I'm about to chuck the entire cutter and get a hypertherm 45xp.
chadmjohn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by chadmjohn »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:49 am From the image it looks like you have a DIY ohmic sensor touch, is it possible the pierce height could be too low. I would do some non fire G-code tests to check the actual pierce height.
I've tuned the pierce pretty well. The disk on the shield cap is .03" further out than the nozzle, so my pierce height is anywhere from .05 (which is .08 actual to the nozzle) to a .1 (which is .13 to the nozzle). This is at 40amps.

It's piercing 16g CRS, so it's almost instant and very little blowback.

It is possible that more height would help, I'll give it a shot and see. I tried to keep it low because I want the pierce marks (open paths) to be minimal. It may be that I need to put up with a bit larger pierce 'hole' for stability sake.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

I get this too on my hypertherm duramax torch when piercing thick material 3/8" and up. Or it leaves a tail looking puddle and when the torch comes back I can see the DTCH work and lift up. I sometime baby sit it with a scraper and move the little tail out of the way. I am hearing people have used wiggle lead in in sheetcam to combat this problem. I have not tired it.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Remove the shield cap, its used for standoff cutting.
It looks the same as my SL60 on my Cutmaster 39.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
chadmjohn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by chadmjohn »

ROKCRLER wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:10 pm Remove the shield cap, its used for standoff cutting.
It looks the same as my SL60 on my Cutmaster 39.
It's not a drag shield, those have relief cuts and generally put the torch nozzle at .06" from the material for drag cutting. This is a nozzle shield, with a .03" protrusion meaning there is a .03" gap between material and shield when cutting at .06" standoff.
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

It's a deflector cap for the shield... At least on my hand torch.
I had to remove it when I had the hand torch on a table before machine torch as it would put the tip too far from the material.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221005-145824.png
Screenshot_20221005-145753.png
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”