Cutting aluminum diamond plate

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cutting aluminum diamond plate

Post by msc »

I have someone that wants me to cut some aluminum diamond plate into a decorative logo design. I know that I cannot cut aluminum over my water table. I think I have that figured out by building a cover and cutting rack to go over the water table. But is there anything else I need to know?

I have cut a little aluminum with my hand torch a while back and I think I remember it being sort of messy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Delusional Designs 4x4 CNC
Millermatic 211 welder
Chris Linetty
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Cutting aluminum diamond plate

Post by Chris Linetty »

Mark, I'm new to plasma cutting. Why can't you cut aluminum over water? I actually did it recently and I can't say the cut was as smooth as steel, but it was of acceptable quality. other than that everything went fine. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Chris.
Arc Light 48x96
Hypertherm 45a
Inkscape, sheet cam, Mach3
New as crap on this stuff, but having a blast!!! :D
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

IIRC you're not supposed to cut submerged as the hydrogen can get trapped under sheet and than light. With most our water tables on air plasmas that you can cut submerged anyway, just keep the water below the sheet and you're good to go.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Cut with the pattern facing down as well.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

Chris Linetty wrote:Mark, I'm new to plasma cutting. Why can't you cut aluminum over water? I actually did it recently and I can't say the cut was as smooth as steel, but it was of acceptable quality. other than that everything went fine. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Chris.
I was told, apparently not completely accurate, that the gases created by the hot aluminum hitting the water created a toxic gas. From some of the responses here that is not completely correct.
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

Take this for what you will and in no way am I telling you to cut the aluminum. I can see there being an issue if say you left the metal in contact with the water over night and it created a pocket of hydrogen, you then come back in the morning flip on your machine, send a spark to it and you could cause a boom. There would have to be a lot of very specific issues occur though. I cut aluminum every now and then without worry but again this is me and I am not telling you it is right or wrong. All I can say is that if you are worried about it empty your pan and get yourself a nice respirator.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Here is my response that has been posted a few hundred times on various forums:

In regards to cutting aluminum over a water table, there generally is no concern of the possibility of hydrogen production and the ensuing explosion hazard. Aluminum cutting produces a by product of aluminum oxide, which sinks in the water and absorbs oxygen. When oxygen is removed from water (H20) it leaves hydrogen, which you will see rising to the surface (after cutting aluminum) as small bubbles.

Since the quantity is very small, and hydrogen is lighter than air, the small amount of hydrogen will dissipate in the ambient air.

Many water tables have a submerged chamber that is used (with compressed air) to rapidly raise and lower the water level in the table for small parts removal, cleaning, etc. If aluminum oxide is allowed to get into a closed chamber, hydrogen could be trapped and over time could form a large pocket, and with the event of a spark and some oxygen there could be an explosion. So if you have a raise lower type water table with an enclosed chamber (bladder) for storing water....and it was not designed specifically for aluminum cutting...then I would recommend against its use.

Most of the stories about aluminum and water tables causing explosions have no basis, although there have been a couple of issues over the 38 years I have been working for Hypertherm that involved minor explosions on large industrial machines. The ones that I am aware of were solved with aerators (no pump needed) that simply involved a couple of pipes with holes drilled in them in them...submerged in the water table. Low pressure compressed air was fed into the pipes to aerate the water, diluting the hydrogen.

On small tables without enclosed water chambers....simply allowing the material to have a slight gap (maybe 1/4" between material and water) is adequate to dissipate the very small amount of hydrogen produced. The hydrogen is not produced in any quantity by the actual cutting, rather, the aluminum oxide particles that sink to the bottom of the table will absorb oxygen (water is H2O, which is 2 molecules Hydrogen and 1 molecule Oxygen)....which leaves hydrogen. As the particles pull oxygen from water, the hydrogen rises in the form of small bubbles in very small quantity.....and will do it for hours after you are done cutting. If the hydrogen is trapped somewhere, like under an upward bowed plate...then it can form a pocket underneath the plate. So....when you are done cutting your aluminum on a water table...remove the plate, let the very small quantity of hydrogen rise and disipate in the air.

Cut all the aluminum you want on small water tables, just use common sense.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim Colt Hypertherm
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

Another great response. Thank you Jim. And thank you for being there and sharing your expertise with us.

Mark
Last edited by msc on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

we cut aluminum on a water table frequently without any issues
you will see very tiny bubbles for days after
Many water tables have a submerged chamber that is used (with compressed air) to rapidly raise and lower the water level in the table for small parts removal, cleaning, etc. If aluminum oxide is allowed to get into a closed chamber, hydrogen could be trapped and over time could form a large pocket, and with the event of a spark and some oxygen there could be an explosion. So if you have a raise lower type water table with an enclosed chamber (bladder) for storing water....and it was not designed specifically for aluminum cutting...then I would recommend against its use.
jim's reply does have me thinking though, we do have a bladder (two 55 gal barrels) under our table
chances of aluminum cuttings getting in there is slim, drain 2 or more ft from where we cut, but something i had not thought about before
we rarely drain into the barrels, more for adding water or level adjustments
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

I cut many many many sheets of aluminum. The last job I cut was 1" 6160. Plasma gas was liquid nitrogen, and water shielded. Water level was just at 2" under the material.

The hydrogen is formed by AL being submerged in the water. AL dross is more like a powder than molten metal like A36. So the dross has a much greater surface area, than lets say an AL part you just cut out. More hydrogen is created with dross. With the 1" 6160, a lot of dross was created because the kerf was over 1/4" wide. The table would be full and had to be cleaned every day. It looked like simmering oatmeal with all the hydrogen bubbling out of it.

The biggest concern is when the slats fill up with dross and create pockets of hydrogen that can't vent off to anywhere. If a sheet is left on the table over night, a much bigger pocket is created. Then when you pierce the material that pocket ignites. It can catch you off guard if you aren't expecting it.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Is the OP's concern over toxic gas perhaps related to hearing about Galvanized steel? I know it's bad with welding, but not sure how much is released in cutting.
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

The OP was concerned about gasses given off with AL and water. When I was learning on a Torchmate in school, I was told I could not cut over a water table because the molten AL will "explode" on contact with water. When I landed a CNC job, during the interview, I clearly saw that that was absolutely false.

Galv?! Everybody in the shop will need respirators. It gives off fumes at 750 degrees.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

90% of what I cut is aluminum. My water is generally 1/4" below (ish, I don't measure shit) the plate. No issues.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”