Angularity Issues

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Angularity Issues

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I'm having two issues with cut quality. I've got a hand torch set up, and I can't ever seem to get it perfectly square.
1. Is there a trick anyone has to squaring up a hand torch first time?

2. I'm also having issues with random bumps in my cuts. I'm not sure if this is because the torch is not perfectly square so as it changes from a top taper to a bottom, or if it is where the thc is kicking in or what.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Angularity Issues

Post by Ironken »

Could you post a pic of your hand torch? Maybe one of us can come up with an idea for squaring. Would a machine torch be feasible for you? The hand torch setups seem to me to lack rigidity....imho.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

I will try to get a picture of it by tonight
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

20181008_073112.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Looking at your torch holder 2 things come up better supporting the handle to make the holder more ridged. And also making sure the torch cable is not having an effect on the torches direction. Attached is a torch holder I made on my first table and another somebody made for their hand held torch.
new torch holder (6).JPG
hand held torch holder.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Just spitballin' here......how much pressure can you put on the torch handle before the torch deflects? Seems like there's not much rigidity in that torch mount. Could the torch be bouncing a bit causing issues? Could you make gussets from the horizontal piece to the vertical piece to better support the torch?

Or build a support for the handle like Jester suggested and maybe clamp a piece of longer stock the same diameter as the retaining cap in the torch mount. This way you would have a longer surface to check that the bore of the torch mount is actually perpendicular to to the table surface.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

I have a rod welded to the plate that I ziptie to the torch body to prevent it from wiggling around. Its on the other side of the torch
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Could the wiggle be where the horizontal piece mates to the verticle part of your z? Gussets maybe needed?
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Maybe, it's pretty rigid right there. Its got two countersunk bolts coming through the back side of the plate to hold on the mount and it is pretty tight.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

This may be a bit anal.....could you fix a dial indicator to the vertical face and touch off on different points and make some cuts to see where the flex is coming from? You can observe the indicator and see if there is any movement during the cut and what movement makes it happen. Mounting may be challenging since a mag base won't work for you.

I would think that a small amount of deflection at the torch could show up a couple inches away at your cut.
Euclid933
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Euclid933 »

I have had random bumps in cuts. I narrowed it down to the "Y" axis bearing supports.
Check that the X and Y axis move by hand without bumping or binding.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

This is how to ensure good cuts. Machine torch with magnetic mount. Easy to inspect and change consumables, easy to clean, always perpendicular.

new pics 013.jpg
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

I made my magnetic mount locate on 3 ball bearings and 4 rare earth magnets (2 on each plate). I would love a machine torch, but at $650 for the xt40m, I can't justify it quite yet in my shop as this is just a hobby at the moment. I would like to eventually upgrade tables to a larger table, and sell this one, but space is limited right now. I don't want to put too much into this table when I plan on selling it in the future for a better machine.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

Using the magnetic mount with the machine torch just like Jim posted above and auto height control set at 0.06 using the 65 amp process with new consumables in the picts below on 1/2" mild steel. You won't ever get a perfect 90 but this is about as good as I can do on angularity with very little dross.
Attachments
65 amp Plasmacam cuts.jpg
65 amp Plasmacam cuts.jpg (90.26 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
65 amp Cut on the PlasmaCam.jpg
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you figure out what your time is worth, then calculate how much design and testing time you will use up designing and building your mount for a hand torch. Then, add in the time it takes for secondary operations (dross, angularity that force grinding and occasional scrap pieces) it takes very little wasted time even in a hobby shop to justify having a machine torch and a decent breakaway mount. Use the hand torch for cutting up the skeleton left after cutting on the cnc table with the machine torch, as well as for breaking down larger plates and sheets to fit on the smaller table. Jim Colt Hypertherm

TrinityFabworks wrote:I made my magnetic mount locate on 3 ball bearings and 4 rare earth magnets (2 on each plate). I would love a machine torch, but at $650 for the xt40m, I can't justify it quite yet in my shop as this is just a hobby at the moment. I would like to eventually upgrade tables to a larger table, and sell this one, but space is limited right now. I don't want to put too much into this table when I plan on selling it in the future for a better machine.
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Oh and by the way, a guy makes these in OZ in the northern part of NSW. They are available for all hypetherm torches. I got my 125 duramax torch mount just he completed his first run, assembled it for me as I waited with a coffee. Very nice chap, good with a story and a laugh. I have to admit that I still get angularity issues, however not as great as before (when I first started). I also notices that the tips (45amp) on 6mm plate seem to cut better with some use on them and now seem to be lasting much longer. I am doing 10mm (3/8') with 65amp consumables (just swapping the nozzel) and too this seems to be going better. Don't know why it just is. Parts seem to be dropping out now from the plate without having to pry them out. I am not complaining it seems to be going as it is supposed to, which I must admit is lovely. I am typing this, hopefully my cnc plasma won't hear this and now stop working and or give trouble.
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

My error not duramax but Hyamp torch for the 125

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”