Aluminum Cut

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
joeshown
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Aluminum Cut

Post by joeshown »

A friend has asked me to cut some .080 aluminum for him. I have no experience with this material and am asking for some help in where to start in terms of settings. I have a 4X8 Tracker table with 45 Amp Hypertherm unit. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Joe Shown
Stapleton, NE
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Aluminum Cut

Post by acourtjester »

Look in the Hypertherm manual it has that info, that looks like 12 Ga. aluminum check the chart.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
xring
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xring »

From the PowerMax 45 manual:
PM45-aluminum-cutchart.jpg
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

I've never cut aluminum on the cnc but I was warned that if you have a waterbed you have to be careful of of creating hydrogen bubbles. I remember looking it up and there were others that had warned about it. I'm not trying to spread rumors and I didn't take the time to look up if yours is or isn't, but I thought I would mention it just the same. I am sure there are ppl here that could provide more fact and less speculation.
smutboy420
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by smutboy420 »

as far as the hydrogen bubbles being a problem is when cutting a sheet on a water table that can get any off the bubbles accumulating under the plate and then it exploding and causing the plate to move. Its more of a problem if someone is cutting a big plate that covers most of the table without any place for the hydrogen bubbles to escape.
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

thanks

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”