Help needed please. New to CNC

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
DaveKnit
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help needed please. New to CNC

Post by DaveKnit »

Hi guys,

Can you assist with setting up to cut 6mm mild steel plate. I can’t seem to get the settings correct as this is my first cnc table. Any knowledge to establish baselines for different thickness plate would be awesome. Could someone please populate the below
Unimig Razorcut 45
Amps
Cutting tip size mm
Cut speed cm/ min

PriceCNC THC
Nomin
Pierce height
Cut height

I’m starting to feel like a dummy. This has been doing my head in for a few days. I’m not sure if it’s the base line settings or Sheetcam or Mach3

Cheers
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help needed please. New to CNC

Post by acourtjester »

There are a few things that will help, but to get a chart like you are asking will require you doing some testing to match your setup. except for thinner metal the standard is Pierce height of 0.160" (4.06 MM) and cut height 0.060" (1.52 MM). Also you could download a copy of the Hypertherm 45 manual as it has charts which can give you a ballpark idea for the setting. This will not be exact due to your electronics and table and your tool setting in SheetCam, these are setup for each metal thickness, speed, type of metal. You will need to have the Post Processor that's setup for you electronics, or use one of the Mach 3 Post Processors that fit your setup.
I have a PriceCNC THC and for 6 MM I use 127 volts 48 IPM pierce 0.160" and cut at 0.060". 45 amps with a Hypertherm 65 45 amp nozzle.
Here is a video on how I setup my Price and shows how to setup charting for different metal thickness.
https://youtu.be/EyZJVMtzKzY
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DaveKnit
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Help needed please. New to CNC