Squaring/plumb torch to table

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Squaring/plumb torch to table

Post by Billythegoat »

Tried to do a search for making my torch plumb to my table. This is the setup I have. Nothing really long and straight on the torch to put a square on. Doesn't affect much when I cut thin stuff but obviously thicker stuff is a craps shoot.Any suggestions?
Attachments
torch.jpg
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Squaring/plumb torch to table

Post by ben de lappe »

In your position my shade tree approach would be to do my best to square up with that little mounting block (close to square we hope?) holding the torch if any adjustment could be gained by moving it. I realize it doesn't give much area for checking but would be better than nothing. Otherwise my thought would be to make a "holder"/mount bracket for the hand held torch that would accept the torch and have a straight edge for you to square against while also giving you a solid mount to your mounting plate. Probably be a little trial and error finding what plumb is with that torch but I feel incremental adjustment as you go would be better than just guessing.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I would cut straight lines only in the X direction and look at the angle of the cut to see which way to move torch. The cut only in the Y direction and do the same. It may take some time but you can get it plumb. Another thing is to be sure the torch cable is not pulling the torch off plumb, I use a cable boom to hold the torch cable.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Good post. MY machine torch is dead nuts square. I use a 1-2-3 block to do this. However I still have a pretty large bevel on the Y axis (1/4") when the torch cuts coming toward me. I think I am going to adjust the Z-car if I can a little to compensate for this.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

If you have a lathe or access to one get some 5/8" steel or aluminum rod and make this tool that can replace the consumables in your torch and allow you to square your torch accurately. Just insert the long end into your retaining cap and screw the retaining cap on.

tool.png
TJS

Post by TJS »

weldguy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am If you have a lathe or access to one get some 5/8" steel or aluminum rod and make this tool that can replace the consumables in your torch and allow you to square your torch accurately. Just insert the long end into your retaining cap and screw the retaining cap on.

tool.png
Do you have pics of this. I have a lathe and that looks cake to make but not sure how this goes in the torch. Got any more pics of this.
Thanks.
T.J.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I gave this to a buddy of mine and do not have any pics. After I bought a machine torch I didn't need it anymore. If you make it to those dim it will fit perfect. Basically just unscrew the retaining cap, remove the nozzle, electrode, and swirl ring. Drop the small/long end of this tool into the retaining cap and screw the cap back on to the torch with this long end hanging out. The larger/shorter end fits into the pocket in the torch that the swirl ring fits into. Pretty simple and works good.
TJS

Post by TJS »

I guess this would not apply to me as I have a duramax machine torch, hence I was so confused.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

TJS wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:00 pm I guess this would not apply to me as I have a duramax machine torch, hence I was so confused.
Yes, the machine torch is easy to square off the torch body. The OP's torch pictured however would be a pain to accurately square. If your torch is square and your getting a bevel it could be a worn out nozzle (orifice in the center of nozzle no longer round) or you could have plugged up holes in the swirl ring.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”