Getting rough cuts, need help!

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Getting rough cuts, need help!

Post by CleanCutCreations »

I'm new to the CNC world and I'm looking to see if anyone might know how to fix my rough cut issues.
I am using an Everlast 60s, with a Premier Plasma Table, and a Proma THC (which is not sensing the change in metal height during cuts; but that's a different issue).
Any advice?
Attachments
20190602_173118.jpg
20190602_173054.jpg
20190602_173046.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Getting rough cuts, need help!

Post by acourtjester »

Two things that may help, first make a mount for an ink pen on you torch mount. This will allow you find out if the problem is ruff movement of you table. Just use a simple post processor that does not have a pierce operation and have the pen touching the paper set at Z zero. The other thing is to look at you file to see if it has a large number of nodes, if so you need to remove as many as you can. The G-code reacts to each node in a drawing and small drawing with many node will produce a ruff cut.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

AC has the right idea and I think you will find that you have a little wiggle in your gantry system. Could be from something being a little to loose or if everything is tight you should just try slowing down your cut speed and reduce your amperage to match the new lower speed.
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

I've tightened everything down. This cut was at 40 amps, 80 ipm.
I'll check the nodes, and do the pen test.
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

Not sure if your using hand or machine torch but a lot of hand torch mounts I have seen allow the torch to wiggle around on sharp direction changes. Hand torch mounts just tend to be less rigid.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Could be some backlash in bearings, gears, etc., or the drive tuning (acceleration and gains) could be set a bit too hot for the moving mass and motor sizing. Put your hand on the torch when it is cutting, you will feel rougher motion in the areas where the roughness occurs. Cut a rectangle in true x and y directions. If there is no roughness....then rotate that same rectangle 45 degrees. It there is roughness on the diagonal cuts then that definitely points to backlash or tuning issues. Jim Colt
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

https://youtu.be/WOBqUsfSPlA

any help in comparison.... may be similar issues across the design
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Thank you everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I think I have the problem fixed. I turned my cut speed down to 54 ipm, and was getting clean cuts on my last work.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Gongrates on the troubleshooting and reporting back, that helps others if they have a similar problem
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Countryguy »

My first thought was something similar on mine that I had to do. My 4x8 table slats do shimmy at times. 2x1/8 or so by about 8’10”. The suggestion was to give them an s curve and the when putting g back into their slots they act more stable. It did help.
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Countryguy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:38 pm My first thought was something similar on mine that I had to do. My 4x8 table slats do shimmy at times. 2x1/8 or so by about 8’10”. The suggestion was to give them an s curve and the when putting g back into their slots they act more stable. It did help.
I actually just ordered another set of slat holders the other day to place in the center of my water table. I think it will help the little bit of wiggle I still have.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”