Finecut and Stainless

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Finecut and Stainless

Post by rwskinner »

I've been using finecuts for several years and love them, however, I always seems to have issues on thicker materials that the book specs say I can cut, but sometimes they don't cut all the way thru.

This week, I'm cutting lots of 12 ga 304L, using the finecuts and book specs, I have serious edge bevel and some of my cuts are not cutting all the way thru. I'd like to get this figured out. I have checked my DTHC and then made sure my cut height was correct, but I have the same issue.

I can switch over to regular 45 amp nozzles and everything is fine, but I loose some of the finer details I need for these parts.

Any recommendations?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Finecut and Stainless

Post by SeanP »

I use finecuts a lot for anything under 3mm as well, get great cuts on mild steel and thinner stainless, I tend to slow down a little to book specs though, 3mm stainless I would be at 2400 (book 2550) 3mm stainless is ok, but not as good as the thinner stainless.

One other thing, I hate that ohmic shield 220948, it clogs easily and to my mind have more problems with not cutting through in places.

I made up a 2 legged shield from a old 220817, been using it for the last six months every day and to my mind it's way better, better cuts and lot less trouble with spatter.

Nozzles need to be clean and in good condition to get good cuts, 6mm is the thickest I have cut if you wanting good detail.
ohmic.jpg
2mm & 1.5mm 304
2mm & 1.5mm 304
6mm mild steel
6mm mild steel
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Finecut consumables, especially with a new electrode occasionally need you to cut at a higher voltage and cut height than the book spec....if they are not fully penetrating the material. Set your cut height at .080", and increase the arc voltage (maybe 5 to 7 volts) to maintain the .080", and you will then solve the issue. Usually the issue is with the material, especially on 14, 12 and 10 gauge steel when the silicon, carbon or manganese levels are higher than normal. Jim Colt
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

Jim, for 12 ga SS my book says 0.020" for cut height, so when you say raise it to 0.080," was that for steel or the stainless?
jimcolt wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:04 pm Finecut consumables, especially with a new electrode occasionally need you to cut at a higher voltage and cut height than the book spec....if they are not fully penetrating the material. Set your cut height at .080", and increase the arc voltage (maybe 5 to 7 volts) to maintain the .080", and you will then solve the issue. Usually the issue is with the material, especially on 14, 12 and 10 gauge steel when the silicon, carbon or manganese levels are higher than normal. Jim Colt
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

I cut 14 ga 316 SS perfectly fine, no issues. This 12ga 304L sucks. I quit using the fine cuts on the 12 ga as I'm wasting WAY to much material.

Right now, I'm cutting a bunch of 1/4" 304L and I'm using the 65 amp settings because I can't chance the 45 amp messing up stuff.
The cut is nice, and almost dross free, but no matter how much over cut I do, it leaves about an 1/8" of tab at the intersection of where the original lead in started. I'm up to .375" over cut and I tried also a lead out. Funny thing is, the lead out is cut fine, but there is still a tab where the paths cross. I didn't have any of these problems when I cut the same stuff in 316 ss.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Yes that happens to me on thicker stainless, mild steel as well, if you create a rule to slow down 75% 4mm from the end (not including leadout) that should sort it.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

rwskinner wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:03 pm I cut 14 ga 316 SS perfectly fine, no issues. This 12ga 304L sucks. I quit using the fine cuts on the 12 ga as I'm wasting WAY to much material.

Right now, I'm cutting a bunch of 1/4" 304L and I'm using the 65 amp settings because I can't chance the 45 amp messing up stuff.
The cut is nice, and almost dross free, but no matter how much over cut I do, it leaves about an 1/8" of tab at the intersection of where the original lead in started. I'm up to .375" over cut and I tried also a lead out. Funny thing is, the lead out is cut fine, but there is still a tab where the paths cross. I didn't have any of these problems when I cut the same stuff in 316 ss.
This is due to the arc lag (angle the arc is trailing in the metal). The overcut won't matter. As you're finding out, with the arc lag, the torch loses the arc to the metal (at the top of the metal) before the trailing edge of the arc (at the bottom of the metal) has cut through. So you end up with this tab (that is likely cut at an angle as well). I ran into this as well.

Slow down your cut at the end, and that should make the arc more vertical, and let the arc at the top of the metal and the arc at the bottom of the metal, exit the metal in similar places.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”