Better cut quality with a new machine

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
justin_ploense
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Better cut quality with a new machine

Post by justin_ploense »

Right now I am using an older Hypertherm Powermax 1000 g3 with the duramax retrofit torch. Ive struggled to get any better than a 7 degrees cut angle while cutting .250 plate while reducing to 60 percent of the recommended setting per Hypertherm cut chart. My torch is square to the material and am cutting with new consumables. Will setting up to a new Powermax 65 or 85 yield better results?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Better cut quality with a new machine

Post by weldguy »

Sounds like you have the newer torch so I am not sure if a new power supply will solve your cut angle. When I have problems like that I will draw a straight line 24" long and start with the setting in the Hypertherm chart. I will let it cut a few inches before I pause the machine and check my cut height with feeler gauges to be sure the torch is .060" off the plate. If not I adjust my arc voltage accordingly to achieve the proper cut height, resume cutting for another few inches then measure again. Sometimes the arc voltage value gets you close to the recommended height but not exact. Should only need to slow down on smaller holes, etc.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Better cut quality with a new machine

Post by jimcolt »

Pictures of your cut edges will help.Information about your machine, height control and the consumables and settings you used will help us help you. The Powermax1000 using the Duramax torch and the Duramax cut specs will produce essentially the same cut quality as the 45xp, 65 or 85 from Hypertherm. Using the 45 amp shielded consumables and following the cut specs on the cut charts that came with your Duramax torch (you do have the correct cut charts, right?) you should be able to cut within about 2.5 degrees of square with the Duramax torch on your Powermax1000. The plasma alone does not make good cut quality....you need to run at the book specs, especially with speed, amperage, the right choice of consumables and with pierce height and delay as well as arc voltage / cut height. All of these factors control consumable condition and cut edge angularity. Here is a pic of 1/4" cut with the Duramax torch using 45 amp shielded consumables and book specs. Deviation form 90 degrees from 90 degrees is marked on the top of each cut edge. Jim Colt
Powermax45 edge angle 004.jpg
Powermax45 edge angle 004.jpg (39.36 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Powermax45 edge angle 003.jpg
Powermax45 edge angle 003.jpg (30.37 KiB) Viewed 501 times

justin_ploense wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 pm Right now I am using an older Hypertherm Powermax 1000 g3 with the duramax retrofit torch. Ive struggled to get any better than a 7 degrees cut angle while cutting .250 plate while reducing to 60 percent of the recommended setting per Hypertherm cut chart. My torch is square to the material and am cutting with new consumables. Will setting up to a new Powermax 65 or 85 yield better results?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”