Torch Drag - What would cause this?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
4x8_Plasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torch Drag - What would cause this?

Post by 4x8_Plasma »

Hello,

My question is about ohmic sensor with a proma thc system. The table didn't come with the ohmic feature but I've ran into the following issues:

I have a 4x8 weld together Delusional design table that uses sheetcam for creating the g-codes and UGS Platform for running the xyz operations.
The table has a Proma thc system. I am using a 80 gallon Ingersoll rand air compress and a XXL air filter/drier with a Hypertherm 65 cutter.
I have been trying to cut 3/15 (a36) mild steel and i'm having an issue with the torch dragging on the work surface.
The torch starts by moving for the first point, pierces the metal starts traveling about 2 inches and then drags on surface.
I have followed the manufacture of the table writeup for calibrating the thc to triple check that something isn't off.
Next, I checked that the voltage on the thc was set to book settings and also I've raised the voltage during cut to see if that help with drag. Same issue.

All moisture filters have been checked. Consumables have been checked.

Has anyone had an issue with this?

Is there a setting inside Sheetcam that could be off?

Could the THC settings not be correct even if they are set to the manufacture of the table writeup?

Could the table/cutter benefit from an ohmic sensor?

What are some reasons that the torch would drag the work surface? (Voltage was increase and still drags)

Please let me know of any items to check for.

thank you

Delusional Design 4x8
Hypertherm 65 – Proma THC
Soildworks/Sheetcam/UGS Platform
80 gallon Ingersoll rand air compress/ XXL air filter-drier
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch Drag - What would cause this?

Post by robertspark »

have a read of this thread you may have similar issues

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29143