Small kerf/finecut with Everlast PowerPlasma IPT-80?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
phy6
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Small kerf/finecut with Everlast PowerPlasma IPT-80?

Post by phy6 »

Hi, I'm new to plasma cutting and I have a 4x8 table with an Everlast PowerPlasma 80S with an IPT-80 CNC torch. I've been using the stock 1.2mm nozzles and standard air compressor air for cutting (with various water traps and a motorguard filter to keep it dry) I'm cutting 0.090 to 1/2" mild steel now, mostly 3/16 around though. I'm making functional jigs and race car parts, no artsy stuff. I'd like to be able to do Stainless and 4130 too.

I'd like to get finer cuts and I hear talk about high definition plasma cutting and finecut consumables. Is there any way to approach that smaller kerf/taper on a non-hypertherm machine? I've seen IPT-80 nozzles down to 0.9mm on Amazon/Ebay, but before I buy those I'd like to know if there is anything better and what it would take.

Thanks and happy new year.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Small kerf/finecut with Everlast PowerPlasma IPT-80?

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm systems cost more to buy, however consumable life and cut quality makes the cost per foot of cut lower. You also have a wide variety of consumable choices, many pages of cut specification charts, as well as a reliable system that is built in the USA. To make your Everlast work you could talk to George (on here as Mechanic 416 I think), he is up to speed and offers some consumables that may work with the torch you have on your Everlast.

High Definition plasma cutters start at about $45K (just for the plasma) and must be used on high end industrial machines starting at about $80k in order to provide high definition cuts. There is no comparison with cut quality from air plasma systems. Go to www.hypertherm.com and look at the XPR plasma systems for more information about what these plasma / cnc systems can do. There is a lot of great training courses and info on the Hypertherm site under the education tab. Jim Colt

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”