poor cut quality

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
akflyer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

poor cut quality

Post by akflyer »

I have a 4x8 premier plasma table, hypertherm X65, proma THC, sheet cam and mach 3.

When cutting 10 gauge using 65 amp consumables the cut quality using book numbers is awesome! very little dross that I can easily knock right off. The same on material up to 3/8" thick plate.

When cutting 14-16 gauge using 45 amp fine cut consumables, I have to slow the cut speeds way down from the book speeds or the cut will start then it wont cut all the way through the plate and just "etches" it. The problem with slowing the cut speed down slow enough that it completes the cut is the dross. I have been playing with the cut speed in 5 IPM increments and can't seem to find that happy medium. I also have to run the voltage on the THC quite a bit lower than book numbers or the torch runs way too high. The low cut speeds also tend to increase the warpage I am dealing with as well.

Any thoughts?
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: poor cut quality

Post by robertspark »

Do you know exactly what consumables you have installed in the torch for fine cut?

There are differences between things like swirl rings for instance.... It is not JUST the nozzle ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... kDMqQoIwAP

Bottom of page 15
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There are a few things you can do, first is to have the plasma work lead attached directly to the metal you are cutting. Here is one I made for my table. another thing is using the Proma you cannot be sure the voltages are correct for you setup. there is a procedure you run to fine the voltage for each metal thickness.
here is one I recorded for that procedure.
https://youtu.be/EyZJVMtzKzY
Attachments
ground clamp.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
akflyer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by akflyer »

robertspark wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:09 pm Do you know exactly what consumables you have installed in the torch for fine cut?

There are differences between things like swirl rings for instance.... It is not JUST the nozzle ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... kDMqQoIwAP

Bottom of page 15
I am 700 miles away from the shop right now, but I use the consumables, swirl ring etc as call out in the book for the fine cut.
akflyer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by akflyer »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:13 pm There are a few things you can do, first is to have the plasma work lead attached directly to the metal you are cutting. Here is one I made for my table. another thing is using the Proma you cannot be sure the voltages are correct for you setup. there is a procedure you run to fine the voltage for each metal thickness.
here is one I recorded for that procedure.
https://youtu.be/EyZJVMtzKzY
I use the standard ground clamp that comes with the unit and always clamp it directly to the work piece. I will try a more positive clamp like the one you have made and see if that helps.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Since you already clamp to the metal you will not see an improvement mine just is easier and smaller.
Big help will be running the test as in the video to get the correct distance voltage for each metal thickness. Do maintain the 0.060" torch cutting height and correct speed for each thickness when testing. The THC will not be controlling torch movement only the voltage read out for you to record. The test with it on to verify the results.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
akflyer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by akflyer »

Thanks for the replys, I will play with the settings to see what it takes to maintain the .06". I have been guestimating and going off cut quality not a hard measurement on the height.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”