cut angularity

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
justin_ploense
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

cut angularity

Post by justin_ploense »

I am not able to get rid of the negative and positive bevel while the torch is traveling the y axis. the torch body is squared to the work piece. I am about to replace my cutter and torch to a hypertherm pm85. im currently using a pm1000 g3 with the Duramax retrofit torch. I know the cut angle is indicative to the torch not being square, but I assure you it is. am I expecting too much from air plasma cutting? these are pics of a 3'' square cut from 1/2" plate.
IMG_1984.jpg
IMG_1985.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg
IMG_1986.jpg
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: cut angularity

Post by Old Iron »

I'm sure you have new consumables so, change the o-ring that seals the retaining cap to the torch body. Put a thin coat of dielectric grease on the o-ring also.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cut angularity

Post by weldguy »

I see the angle is in the same direction on opposing sides. That looks like what you might get if the hole in your nozzle is no longer round. A new nozzle may fix it however if you have moisture or oil in your air supply that nozzle could do the same thing in the first pierce. If you see black or grey deposits inside your nozzle its air contamination and you should upgrade your filtration. Even once you improve your filtration it can take some time to improve since your torch lead will be contaminated.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”