Scallops Aplenty

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
KMWren
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Scallops Aplenty

Post by KMWren »

we're trying to dial in our powermax 85. We have fine cut consumables and we are getting some unwanted scalloping. everything is tight on the machine and we have double and triple checked for gear slop, we have none. We cut 8 parts out today and the results are below (left most part on is book settings and the parts fall in order beyond that). What are we missing? how do we get rid of the scallops?
Attachments
IMG_5174.jpg
IMG_5173.jpg
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Scallops Aplenty

Post by weldguy »

Are you only seeing this on arcs or do straight lines also look like that?

If you turn off the THC does that problem go away?

What table are you using?
KMWren
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by KMWren »

seeing it a little bit on straight lines, not as bad. the more i've played with it, the better the straights have gotten. The THC is off on all the above cuts.

I'm using a wright CNC 4x8

see below for straights. that has gone down a little but is still noticible.
Attachments
IMG_5169 (1).jpg
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

You could be traveling too slow however I see no dross so that's likely not the case. I suspect your cnc machine is stepper driven and just not refined enough for smoother motion. Have you contacted Wright?
KMWren
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by KMWren »

yes i have, he's been very good, just busy. i sent him my file and i've gone through some trouble shooting stuff with him.

can you explain stepper driven what i may need to do to refine more?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There are switches on the drivers for each axis (2 drivers if slaved axis either X or Y depending on how you look at the table).
These switch are for operational current for each motor, and pulses per revolution of the motor shaft. Depending on the drive gearing and the pulses from the driver they are used to calculate the distance the axis moves. These should have be setup by Wright from the start unless something changed. Now a different problem could be the drawing you are using, there could be to many nodes used to make the shapes. A simple circle g-code should only have 4 lines of code for the actual circle cut ( more line for other things). You also could have a bad stepper, if you cut a square and only 2 sides have wavy edges that driver or stepper may be bad.
code.JPG
code.JPG (54 KiB) Viewed 815 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
KMWren
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by KMWren »

i've made sure there are not too many nodes, i re-drew everything that was excessive in nodes (poly lines and such). i tried to cut this out today to see what you're speaking about and this is what happened.
Attachments
IMG_5183.jpg
IMG_5185.jpg
IMG_5184.jpg
IMG_5186.jpg
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I was starting to get that on my machine a while back, a new pinion gear on the gantry near enough got rid of mine, could well be the rack/pinion either wear on not a smooth mesh, a spray of chain oil won't do any harm.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok since you show 4 images I assume that you cut a square and that is the 4 sides with scallops, I'm no expert but I think you have a mechanical movement problem (Vibrations). One other thing which I do not believe would cause a problem but though I would mention it. On your drawing what is the width of the paths, I try to keep the path below 0.004" to keep the detail crisp. Again this is very far out.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I've seen something like that before. It was caused by the torch moving rapidly up and down. And that was caused by a software setting. Now if I could just remember what and where the setting was.....

It seems like it had something to do with the amount of variance the torch voltage could have before the DTHC would react. Perhaps someone else can remember more. If this is your problem, you should be able to see or feel the torch doing it.

At any rate, resting your finger lightly on the torch while cutting may give you a clue as to what is going on.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Wyo
The setting your are talking about is the sensitivity to the arc voltage. He said the THC was off
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Johnstone
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Johnstone »

Did you ever resolve this issue? It would be helpful to others like me if you would post how you fixed this problem. I'm having the same issues. Thanks

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”