Nitrogen Cutting

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Nitrogen Cutting

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

I'm looking to cut an aluminum sign 40inx90in my plasma cutter is a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 i have read that 2 things help improve aluminum cut quality..

#1 THC #2 use Nitrogen. My 2 questions are.. the THC after installing it and testing to make sure the unit is working I tried some aluminum test cuts it makes the first cut and the second one it hangs up and doesn't do anything but make the second piece cut.

#2 to hook up nitrogen to my plasma im not sure what kind of pressure/flow gauge i need. i tried a TIG welding flow meter but i don't think i'm getting the PSI needed to make the plasma machine go live. it flashes that it doesn't have the required psi. i don't know if hooking a bottle and opening the valve would damage something i'm pretty sure the pressure reg isn't meant to handle 2000psi and knock it down to 80-90?

Short version Questions:
#1 does the proma need some settings configured in MACH3?
#2 how does one hook up a nitrogen bottle to a plasma cutter and get enough pressure for the machine to activate?

Thanks In advance.
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Nitrogen Cutting

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

I think i found #2 solution on a miller forum https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/wel ... ottled-gas
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

I think i figured something out. So the THC when in test mode does move up and down. the problem i think is that it starts the pierce and then trys to adjust right away but because the aluminum is piecing so fast it cant adjust before moving? does any one know of a code or a way to add a rule in sheetcam to tell the THC to adjust on the fly after the initial movement? i think because its trying to get the Voltage down/up to the specified range, its not working correctly. Also how does one figure out what Voltage the THC should be at?

Thanks in advance
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

Also correction the Proma i have is a Proma 150 SD MD. On the sticker someone [either premire plasma or Proma took a black marker and covered 150 and MD. but the front face plate says Compact.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I wouldn't waste your time and money in nitrogen, not sure it will help on anything other than stainless steel and you can get super crisp dross free cuts on aluminum with your TD52 with just air.

Try reducing your pierce delay time and set your arc voltage setpoint a little higher on the THC. If it works and your cutting too high you can always bring it down by lowering the arc voltage setpoint but if it too low it just makes a mess of things and gets frustrating when trying to dial things in.
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

Hi weldguy thanks for the input the reason I was trying to run nitrogen is I was reading that when using Air it causes oxidation and the oxidation leaves a rough un-weldable edge. By using nitrogen it would prevent the oxidation which would result in a smoother edge? I'm currently making a sign for a dance studio and need to brake a few areas to 90* and then weld the seem these welds are only like 2 inches long so cleaning them up by hand isn't a big deal, but the rest of the sign I was trying to get the cleanest cuts and just air doesn't seem to be producing smooth edges. Do you happen to have or know of a website that shows some Settings on the TD52 for cut speed and machine settings for aluminum? I tried calling Radnor/Thermal Dynamics and they said it varies and there is no solid answer. I would agree to an extent but there has to be some guidelines. I would think.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

What thickness of aluminum are you cutting this sign from?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”