Cold Roll Dross issues.

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Dsilverarc33
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cold Roll Dross issues.

Post by Dsilverarc33 »

Torchmate 4800 Flexcut 125
Cutting 10ga cold roll same settings as hot roll but getting a lot of dross. Tried speeding up and slowing ipm and voltage adjustment no luck. Finally ran line speed test with several speeds. 140 ipm had minimal dross but sharp bevel on part. Very thin cut at bottom of part.
Normally cut 10 ga 45a 100-110 ipm hot roll with almost no dross. Cold roll is Cut through but dross keeps everything together. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cold Roll Dross issues.

Post by acourtjester »

It sounds like your cutting to high, if using a THC you need to run the first tests to make sure you are starting with the correct height. and monitor of the THC voltage output for that height. Then finish with that THC voltage and check bevel, Plasma flame is like a candle so cut height can cause bevels either top or bottom if not right.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I normally cut 11 ga. CR and HR steel using FineCut consumables at 45 amps, 100 ipm, 0.060" cut height, 100 psi air pressure at plasma cutter with nice cuts and very little backside dross. I do get slightly cleaner cuts with CR than HR. What cut height are you using? Perhaps try lowering it a bit. Maybe post some photos of your cuts so we can get a better idea.
David
Dsilverarc33
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Dsilverarc33 »

.08 Cut height 60 psi is what my book recommends with 45a consumables. I use THC as well everything is always close to the book + or - but close.
But cutting at recommended settings everything under 1/8 is never close. I will try lowering the height just a bit. Just wondering too if there is a rule of thumb when it comes to hot vs cold roll. Ive got 2 years with this machine cuts everything great but I struggle with thinner materials.
Thanks
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Maybe try lowering your cut height from 0.080" to 0.060" to see if that helps.
David

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”