Post Processor use for Pierce Routine how?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
szextreme
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post Processor use for Pierce Routine how?

Post by szextreme »

Ran into an issue the other day where I was cutting some 1/2" steel plate and on the initial pierce from the lead in it would blow into my cut path. Which eventually would knock the torch around and mess up the cut. I got on here yesterday and found some posts from Les and saw there was a post processor to do a pierce routine. I downloaded it and found it in Sheetcam but am unsure how to specifically use the post. I brought up my part with the post processor selected and applied an operation (65 amp 1/2" steel) from my tools and clicked ok. Sheetcam showed all paths as if it would be cutting the whole part? Is this right with the pierce only PP? It was late and I was fed up with wasting 1/2" plate for the day and never tried to run it. I ran the simulation sequence and it acted like it was going around cutting the entire part so something isn't right and I haven't really played around with changing a PP before any insight? I have a Starlab 5x12 running mach3 cadncnc from sheetcam the older version not the new linux stuff. Any help would be appreciated as its bugging me at work thinking about when I get back to my shop tonight to play around with it again.
-Bulltear 5x12
-PM 85
-Miller Dynasty 400
-5000 Sq feet of toys......I mean Machinery!
cdindustries
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Post Processor use for Pierce Routine how?

Post by cdindustries »

I am not aware of a post processor just for piercing. I do know that some people put all the pierces on a separate layer, the add a pause to be able to change consumables or clean the cut path. You could also increase your lead in to keep out of the slag puddle if you have the room.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

szextreme wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:39 am ...... I got on here yesterday and found some posts from Les and saw there was a post processor to do a pierce routine. I downloaded it and found it in Sheetcam but am unsure how to specifically use the post. ....
Link ? Thanks
szextreme
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by szextreme »

cdindustries wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:20 pm I am not aware of a post processor just for piercing. I do know that some people put all the pierces on a separate layer, the add a pause to be able to change consumables or clean the cut path. You could also increase your lead in to keep out of the slag puddle if you have the room.
The pierce is shooting out a slag pile at about 45deg. On 1" holes no matter where the pierce is the potential is great for running into the pile at one point or another.
-Bulltear 5x12
-PM 85
-Miller Dynasty 400
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Have you looked at the "O" ring in the torch. If you have directional slag there is a problem with the plasma stream. If you look at a pierce hole it should look equally all around the pierce.
DSCN3177 aa.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
szextreme
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by szextreme »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:40 pm Have you looked at the "O" ring in the torch. If you have directional slag there is a problem with the plasma stream. If you look at a pierce hole it should look equally all around the pierce.
DSCN3177 aa.jpg
I'll definitely check that out as I have all new parts for rebuilding the torch head. On the pierce its literally shooting out a plethora of sparks all in one direction about 6ft (usually 180 deg from the direction of first move) Wheels are turning now as I am wondering if it is starting travel before complete pierce as well. These are all tool sets loaded from my table manufacturer. Maybe pierce delay and height should be changed as well if that doesn't cure the issue. By chance acourtjester what is your pierce height and delay for the above pictured? I am still curious about how to use the post that Les posted in the sheetcam forum. I would like to pierce and move all the slag away then come back with a regular cut routine. Parts are 9x7 with my company initials in the middle @1.5" God of War font (ZCM) and a bunch of holes for weight reduction. I am making big block steel motor plates for minibikes as quite a few people in my circle of friends race in a league and wanted steel vs aluminum.
-Bulltear 5x12
-PM 85
-Miller Dynasty 400
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok the most standard pierce height it 0.150" and cut height is 0.060" now there are exceptions to that, some aluminum and thinner metals. These are listed in the manual. The ones in the images are actually dimples I did for marking center punches for drilling later. I just used that image to show a pierce should not be like you are describing. For you info I have a tool setup to do that with only 20 amps, I do all the dimples as one operation and a pause change amps then pierce and cut all parts as a finish operation.
SheetCam makes is very easy to do this as one g-code.

Now I don't understand why you want to do the pierces all at once then return to cut. I have cut 1/2" with 65 amps but did them with edge start with a lead in to the cuts. The manual calls for pierce at 0.180" and cut 0.060" for 1/2" at 65 amps shielded mild steel.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I use a ramp pierce when I do 1/2". It moves and plunges as it's piercing. It kind of keeps the torch ahead of the slag pile.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:30 pm I use a ramp pierce when I do 1/2". It moves and plunges as it's piercing. It kind of keeps the torch ahead of the slag pile.
... Also spreads the slag pile out so it's less of a mountain / crater of topside dross...

Some thcs have a setting called puddle jump which allows for the torch to raise over the crater (topside dross pile) before lowering down to the cut height again when the torch comes back around to finish the cut, the thc should see the topside dross pile / crater and rise up over it
szextreme
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by szextreme »

this is what im dealing with
Attachments
20200617_180251.jpg
20200617_180224.jpg
20200617_180156.jpg
-Bulltear 5x12
-PM 85
-Miller Dynasty 400
szextreme
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by szextreme »

and this
Attachments
20200617_180231.jpg
-Bulltear 5x12
-PM 85
-Miller Dynasty 400
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

How old is your table it looks like movement problems, binding or slipping.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

+1 looks like there are other things going on too

Check for play and backlash, can you adjust and remove any backlash out
szextreme
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by szextreme »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:57 pm How old is your table it looks like movement problems, binding or slipping.
Table is 2015ish.....It cuts holes just fine as you can see side by side the holes that are messed up are do to the slag pile being in the way. Maybe I am asking for too much detail in such a small piece 9"x7" 1/2"???? I did have a chance to change out the entire internals of the torch including the O-ring even though the old one was just fine. Still shoots out in one direction for the most part. I would think maybe the torch is out of square but, depending on the lead in directly affects the blast of the slag. I know you guys keep saying why do you want a post just to pierce......well for this particular project it would be ideal as everything is bunched into a small area. I can cut out large shapes and mounting plates all day long with my current setup and have great results. Putting so much into a small area is another story. The slots I omitted out of the program since I have to make a 3/8 and 5/16 slot the come back and slot half way through the material so the bolt head sits flush with the plate and I really don't feel like ruining carbide endmills plowing through the hardened plasma cut.
-Bulltear 5x12
-PM 85
-Miller Dynasty 400

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”