Torch Started Diving

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Charlie6017
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torch Started Diving

Post by Charlie6017 »

Im not sure what I changed but now on any small cuts my torch dives. I have a DIY plasma cutter using a Proma THC and Mach3. I have been reading the forum trying to figure this out and I see alot of people recommend using Min Cut Length for DTHC option. I dont have that option in my operation menu. Any ideas how I get it there?

Thanks,.

Charlie
Charlie6017
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Torch Started Diving

Post by Charlie6017 »

Just realized its because im using a mach3 post. Back to pulling out my hair. It was working fine for weeks until today.
Tim the Tool Man
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Tim the Tool Man »

I have a similar problem with my Cutting Edge table with Proma THC and My Plasma. Torch will dive into work. If I turn off THC I get poor cuts as the torch is too far away and leaves nasty bevels on cuts. Using standard settings for Hypertherm 45xp. any help would be appreciated. I tried one suggestion as to speed up the small radius speeds, but I don't see any results, other than it starts not cutting all the way through.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Tim the Tool Man wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:41 am I have a similar problem with my Cutting Edge table with Proma THC and My Plasma. Torch will dive into work. If I turn off THC I get poor cuts as the torch is too far away and leaves nasty bevels on cuts. Using standard settings for Hypertherm 45xp. any help would be appreciated. I tried one suggestion as to speed up the small radius speeds, but I don't see any results, other than it starts not cutting all the way through.
First off get the machine cutting at the appropriate cut height (typically .060") with the THC turned off. Just cut simple straight lines while you accomplish this so your not wasting much material.

Once you have that solved try turning the THC on and do the same straight lines. If your using book spec arc voltage values and torch is diving into material try adding 50v to the book spec, it won't get you the proper height but all we want to do is see if it responds by preventing the torch from diving, it should be far too high now after adding 50v.

Do those 2 things and let us know how it goes and we can go from there.
Tim the Tool Man
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Tim the Tool Man »

thanks will give this awhirl and let you know the outcome
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

:Like :Like
eric812
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by eric812 »

Run test pieces and watch your voltage if it jumps higher than your set voltage than you would want to bump it up a bit.
Also change your water separator filters.
Bad air quality makes the machine try and compensate.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”