Plasmacam w/hyperther pm65

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Cvanden87
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Plasmacam w/hyperther pm65

Post by Cvanden87 »

I dont understand why I can't get my plasmacam to cut good. It's a plasmacam dhc with a power max 65. I'm cutting 3/16" p/o plate at 45 amps at 55ipm attached is the sample. Then the consumables blows out and nut cutting threw the material throwing sparks sideways
Attachments
20200805_155142.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam w/hyperther pm65

Post by acourtjester »

I would say you have a movement problem, it looks like a stutter action. there should not be a big lead in the top, it should be almost perpendicular.
Is the opening of the shield exactly round, you may also have a "O" ring gone bad.
If you have a water table put the torch tip about 2" above the water and trigger an air blast and look at the water's action if off to one side one of the last 2 items is the problem.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Is this machine new to you, and if not have you previously been able to achieve good cuts?

What is your cut height setting? Hypertherm recommends 0.060". Here is the Hypertherm cut chart for 45 amp shielded mild steel.

Does your table have any discernible play due to worn belts, pulleys, etc. Do your gantry and carriage move smoothly when pushed by hand (with machine powered off)? It your torch mounted solidly with no discernible play/movement when you attempt to move it by hand?

Do you have your work clamp attached directly to the material you are cutting? How long is the work lead cable from you plasma cutter to your work clamp? And if original 25 ft. length, is the excess coiled up under your table?

Are you using torch height control? Does the cut height appear to remain constant while it is cutting?

I would install the correct new Hypertherm consumables, check all your settings (cut height, pierce height, cut speed, etc.) and try another cut.

David
45 amp shielded mild steel cut chart.jpg
45 amp shielded consumables.jpg
Cz_apie
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Cz_apie »

I have got a similar setup and it cuts perfectly, Plasmacam with a 65Powermax from Hypertherm, please give more information so that we can help you achieve the perfect cut that his combination are capable off, it should only be a pleasure using this combination
Plasmacam 4x4 DHC2 Table
Design Edge 4.36 Advanced Design
Advanced Height Control
Hypertherm PM 65
Mac Afric Cut 40 Plasma
Mac Afric Mig 195
Mac Afric Tig 200A
Thermax DC 200
Fulgor Butt Welder
13" Metal Lathe-Milling Machine
Rong Fu 25 Mill
Cz_apie
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Cz_apie »

This is what your combination is capable of, similar cut to what you have shown, this is 10mm or 3/8 inch HRS plate cut with a similar machine but on 65A
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-05 at 19.19.24.jpeg
Last edited by Cz_apie on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plasmacam 4x4 DHC2 Table
Advanced Height Control
Hypertherm PM 65
Mac Afric Cut 40 Plasma
Mac Afric Mig 195
Mac Afric Tig 200A
Thermax DC 200
Fulgor Butt Welder
Rong Fu 25 Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Cz_apie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm This is what your combination is capable of, similar cut to what you have shown ,this is 8 mm or the same as your 3/16 quoted in your example
Those are nice looking cuts! In your photo the material looks much thicker than 3/8" - perhaps an optical illusion. Are those what is left of your cutting grates supporting the material, or? I also have a Plasmacam with Hypertherm 85 and achieve similar results to what you have shown. I don't use mine all that much, so I am still on my first set of cutting grates.
David
Cz_apie
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Cz_apie »

adbuch wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:38 am
Cz_apie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm This is what your combination is capable of, similar cut to what you have shown ,this is 8 mm or the same as your 3/16 quoted in your example
Those are nice looking cuts! In your photo the material looks much thicker than 3/8" - perhaps an optical illusion. Are those what is left of your cutting grates supporting the material, or? I also have a Plasmacam with Hypertherm 85 and achieve similar results to what you have shown. I don't use mine all that much, so I am still on my first set of cutting grates.
David

David

You are correct indeed, went back and measured again, Actually 10mm plate left on table and i made a mistake in actually calculating 5/16 instead of 3/16 as per OP problem and yes, camera angle makes the grate look far worst than what it actually is, I have learnt very quickly that dross left on grate actually protect the grid from cutting damage and will only remove some of the buildup if it upset plate that I want to cut :HaHa These grates are the original one's I got with the the machine 4 years ago and it have seen enough work to actually repay the capital outlay for this machine within the first 3 years of use, I only turned it around some 3 months ago
grid.jpeg
Plasmacam 4x4 DHC2 Table
Advanced Height Control
Hypertherm PM 65
Mac Afric Cut 40 Plasma
Mac Afric Mig 195
Mac Afric Tig 200A
Thermax DC 200
Fulgor Butt Welder
Rong Fu 25 Mill