Abicor Binzel torch cut problems

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
plasma-freak
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Abicor Binzel torch cut problems

Post by plasma-freak »

Hello,

I used search in the forum, but unable to find similar topics. Maybe there are anyone working with Abicor Binzel plasma machine torchs? The machine torch is Abicor Binzel Abiplas cut 150 mt i. e. it is rated for 150 A current and fixed to CNC.

The machine setup is old oxy-fuel cutting CNC retrofitted with plasma (chinese Starfire controller with HP105 THC). Plasma supply is LCD-vision 100 Amps (looks like a Evarlast's older 100 A model). For now I don't remember the duty cycle. But we measured the current with Fluke scope, and we are able to get nearly 100 A, with some 4 A +/- error. Fluke attachment clamp was 100 A max.

The problem is that when I cut some test parts e. g. 3-15 mm thick steel metal (S235 or S355) there is significant dross left on the good part and even on the material. More important that the dross is almost the same when varying the cut current, even changing the speed in the interval where the part edges has significant dross to changing speed limit where cut was not sufficient. From plasma operators view: to cure low speed dross I've tried to increase cut speed, but outcome with same amount of dross.

Looking through welder's helmet it could be seen that plasma arc lags from torch, which creates the significant dross. Increasing speed not very affecting the plasma's straightforwardness. It could be suspected bad nozzle, but the torch and nozzles where new, never used. The right size of the nozzle's Ø where good, because of suggested by manufacturer to the rated current.

The air supply was 5-5,5 bar max by suggested manufacturer manual. The air compressor's debit is sufficient, but not accuretely measured. In manual suggested rate is about 0.3 cubic meter max. There is exact numbers in manual, which I'll provide later if needed.

Any clue what is wrong, or how to test? My test was the simple straight lines cutting at 3 different speeds with same current, then lowering current. The right speed judgement was made from plasma arc marks i. e. stripes. Sorry for long introduction, and that I don't have a sample foto for now. I'll try provide later.

TL;dr:
Retrofitted old cnc with plasma (Starfire SF2100+HP105 THC+Z axle with DC motor and holder for torch which are controlled by HP105 THC)
Plasma source: LCD-vision rated for 100 A, with pilot arc starting function (something similar but more power than this)
Plasma torch: Abicor Binzel, Abiplas cut 150 mt (machine torch with 8 m hose)
Air supply: 5,5 bar, exact air supply debit not measured but is at least 0,2 cubic meter per hour which are near manufucturer's suggestion
Problem: varying cut speed and cut current there is significant dross on the parts and material event if the torch and the consumables are new.
more89
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Abicor Binzel torch cut problems

Post by more89 »

hello i'm finishing a plasma with starfire controller and hp 105 too but i have a powermax 125 torch always chinese i'm having some hitch with the right connection of all the cables and the programming of the starfire the manual is done really bad .... if do you have some time and could you send me some pictures of how the wires are connected then we can compare the machines ... did you build it yourself or did you get it already assembled?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”