Torch Flame Angled

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
WheelinNephew
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torch Flame Angled

Post by WheelinNephew »

Hi all,

So my first question is about cut quality. Our projects are coming out with a 25ish degree angle on the edges...we've checked the tables a they are square, we've changed consumables and are following cut recommendations, but if you look at the torch the flame is coming out at an angle. I've tried searching angled flame on here, but haven't found solutions we haven't tried. Legacy TM2 with powermax 85 is what we're running. Thanks in advance!
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch Flame Angled

Post by tnbndr »

If the flame is visibly angled coming out of the torch, I would verify that you have the correct consumables for your torch and that they are installed correctly.
Otherwise angularity is affected by torch speed and direction. There are some topics by Jim Colt regarding this pinned at the top of this forum page.

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/suppor ... angularity
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

If the arc or flame is coming out on an angle then the hole in the nozzle is no longer round and is redirecting the airflow which swirls around the arc. A new nozzle should fix this however if you have wet, oily, and/or dirty air you can destroy a brand new nozzle the very moment the 1st arc fires and never see a good cut from a brand new nozzle. I bet if you look inside your used nozzle and on the main shaft of your electrode you will see black/grey deposits in a swirling pattern around the electrode and on the inside of the nozzle, this is the leftovers of the air contamination being incinerated in the arc which super heats the consumables. If this is the case you will need to clean up your air supply or you will continue to destroy consumables very quickly and get very frustrated. Cut speed and cut height can also cause angularity but your not at that stage yet you need to get the arc exiting the torch straight.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Another thing to check is the "O" rings in the torch, there is one you will see with the consumables off. There is another small one inside the swirl ring too.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WheelinNephew
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by WheelinNephew »

Thank you all for the replies. We have 2 air filters, one by the compressor and one by the table. How can we check for "bad air"? Sorry for any dumb questions.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

WheelinNephew wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:17 am Thank you all for the replies. We have 2 air filters, one by the compressor and one by the table. How can we check for "bad air"? Sorry for any dumb questions.
Take moment to look at my reply above where i mention the staining on your consumables. That will let you know if your air is dirty. What are you using for filters?
Cbert10
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Cbert10 »

I seem to be having a similar issue did you ever resolve this?
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Also cut height affects finished cut angle.
The torch flame is shaped like a human eye. (kinda tear drop shaped. Keeping the torch at correct cut height often results in almost zero chamfer. It's sorta like being at the center of the teardrop of the eye. flame shape is basically the same as the cut shape. So you dial in your torch to the correct height to minimize chamfer. Torch height higher usually equals more chamfer not to mention premature consumable wear.
Dial in to your Height to the height as stated in your plasma cutter manual for the given metal thickness and type of material and you should be golden for the most part.
I always dial in my THC by doing a few 6"-12" long test cuts and stopping about half way and gauge the torch nozzle to metal gap and adjust from there as needed.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Here is a great post in visually showing what tinspark is describing above viewtopic.php?f=202&t=30283 Plenty of other good write ups in that beginner section.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”