Torch drags on part nomatyer where I calibrated

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Weld-Teach
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torch drags on part nomatyer where I calibrated

Post by Weld-Teach »

Ii have calibrated head with different settings from .13 to .38 for the distance.
Whenever I download G code and cut, torch lazily drags on my plate moving it around and causing it to stop.
Also not sure if when creating G code, how to select from the tools to ensure when cutting in mach3, that it recognizes material thickness being used.
Not sure if when I cut 10ga, does the torch think it 16ga and drags.???????
I'm at a loss, I can simulate cut, but torch tip just drags and engraves steel. I do have video.
Help!. Getting little help from Premier. They seem to be too busy for lil O me...
Weld-Teach
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Torch drags on part nomatyer where I calibrated

Post by Weld-Teach »

And I don't have THC. Was talked out of it when I ordered.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

floating head switch offset been set correctly?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The material height is not involved in you problem, You need to set to both pierce height and cut height so it is in the G-code for mach to use. You also need to set Z0.0 in the DRO before you start. Also as Robert says if you are using a floating head assembly it will need to know the switch offset so the Z movement height is correct.
So you understand when the torch moves to the start of cutting Z moves down, when the tip touches the metal surface it moves down a little more to trip the floating head switch. Then Mach tell it to back up, it calculates the amount of switch offset and what is in the G-code to stop at the correct pierce height. The Z DRO should show the pierce height you set in the tool for the metal you are cutting.
For a test run in single step leave the plasma off.
cut 2.JPG
cut 2.JPG (60.72 KiB) Viewed 420 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”