Inconsistent plasma cut bevel issues

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Inconsistent plasma cut bevel issues

Post by SONIC »

Anyone have any input on this?
Lately our holes have been having this inconsistent bevel, a little hard to see in the photo but the photo is basically straight on and you can see on the top the bevel is essentially nonexistent, but as the cut progresses to the bottom of the hole the bevel increases dramatically.

It's always done this to a point, but it seems to be getting worse and as the nozzle wears it gets worse and worse until it's making garbage cuts.

Any ideas?
plasma.jpg
plasma.jpg (62.14 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inconsistent bevel issues

Post by djreiswig »

Looks like you have a bad nozzle. Look closely at the hole, I bet it isn't round.
If it does this with a new nozzle, check that your torch is square to the material. Also see if air is leaking out of your torch. If it is a Hypertherm, check the o-ring where the retaining cap attaches.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:53 pm Looks like you have a bad nozzle. Look closely at the hole, I bet it isn't round.
If it does this with a new nozzle, check that your torch is square to the material. Also see if air is leaking out of your torch. If it is a Hypertherm, check the o-ring where the retaining cap attaches.
I agree! This is great advise from djreiswig. Let us know what you find out and how you resolve this problem.
David
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

That was first cut on a new nozzle actually.
After doing a lot of reading on here I checked the orings and low and behold I was MISSING the upper oring at the swirl ring! Who knows how long it's been gone and how many thousands of parts we've had to deal with this on. New swirl ring with oring and it seems to be resolved.
So glad it's an easy fix but really kicking myself for not addressing it months ago when we first started noticing it.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Good deal. Glad you found your problem. Happy cutting.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Hypertherm sells a grease that is formulated for those "O" rings, part number is 027055, changing the consumables can be hard on the "O" rings this helps.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

It's just silicone grease. Can get dielectric grease from an auto parts store. Same thing.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:01 pm Hypertherm sells a grease that is formulated for those "O" rings, part number is 027055, changing the consumables can be hard on the "O" rings this helps.
Tom - thanks for the tip! I'll have to pick some up next time I'm at my local Airgas store.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks and thanks to djreiswig for the alternate source, you may get a large container then from Hypertherm (tiny tube :HaHa ).
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

:Like
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
badassr1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by badassr1 »

SONIC wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:29 pm That was first cut on a new nozzle actually.
After doing a lot of reading on here I checked the orings and low and behold I was MISSING the upper oring at the swirl ring! Who knows how long it's been gone and how many thousands of parts we've had to deal with this on. New swirl ring with oring and it seems to be resolved.
So glad it's an easy fix but really kicking myself for not addressing it months ago when we first started noticing it.
having this same issue. you have any pics of what was missing ?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Duramax torch o-ring.jpg
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pyro1983 »

I know this is an older post, but I'm fighting with irregular bevels also. The missing o ring/ leaking air thing caught my attention. I know for a fact, when water spashes up on the torch, I see bubbling between the shield and retaining cap. So my questions are, how tight should I crank these things down, because I remember one time we had 1 heck of a time getting the shield off. Something in the retaining ring just spun with it keeping it from un threading. So after that I just barely snug them. Secondly is there an image somewhere that shows all the oring locations? I didn't see any in the manual. Thanks!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Pyro1983 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:11 am I know this is an older post, but I'm fighting with irregular bevels also. The missing o ring/ leaking air thing caught my attention. I know for a fact, when water spashes up on the torch, I see bubbling between the shield and retaining cap. So my questions are, how tight should I crank these things down, because I remember one time we had 1 heck of a time getting the shield off. Something in the retaining ring just spun with it keeping it from un threading. So after that I just barely snug them. Secondly is there an image somewhere that shows all the oring locations? I didn't see any in the manual. Thanks!
Perhaps share a few photos of your "irregular bevels" so we can see exactly what you are talking about.
David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I just snug mine down. I had trouble one time and determined it was caused by over tightening them.
I believe the only 2 orings are the one on under the retaining cap & the one inside the swirl ring.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:00 am I just snug mine down. I had trouble one time and determined it was caused by over tightening them.
I believe the only 2 orings are the one on under the retaining cap & the one inside the swirl ring.
Same here. I just snug it down. Haven't had a problem yet, but you never know what's around that next "bend".

David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Pyro1983 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:11 am I know this is an older post, but I'm fighting with irregular bevels also. The missing o ring/ leaking air thing caught my attention. I know for a fact, when water spashes up on the torch, I see bubbling between the shield and retaining cap. So my questions are, how tight should I crank these things down, because I remember one time we had 1 heck of a time getting the shield off. Something in the retaining ring just spun with it keeping it from un threading. So after that I just barely snug them. Secondly is there an image somewhere that shows all the oring locations? I didn't see any in the manual. Thanks!
Don't crank the retaining cap down, lightly snug is all you need. I like to replace the orings and swirl ring annually and apply a little dielectric grease on them and thats the best you can do with that.

Your angled cut issue could be a number of things. If you were to cut a 2" square and look at it you can learn a lot about what the problem might be causing the angle. If you care to cut one and share some pics of the square it would help to narrow down your issue.
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Inconsistent plasma cut bevel issues

Post by Pyro1983 »

Next time I get the chance I'll cut a 2" square. We have some 1/4" on the table right now that will work. Should this square have rounded corners, 90 degree corners..?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Square corners are fine, 1/4 plate is perfect. Curious to see the direction of bevel on all four sides.
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pyro1983 »

I cut a 2x2 square from 1/4" and 3/16". Pictures are just the 1/4" as the results were pretty much identical on the 3/16". My bevel issues seem to be on what I would call the left and right sides. I have noticed my holes seem to have a good bit of bevel as well. The bottoms of my holes are smaller in diameter. Hopefully these pictures show detail enough.the left side of the 1/4" piece actually has a curve to it which would make me think it's cutting at the optimal spot of the flame, but yet the left side is the only side like that.
Attachments
20230319_135207.jpg
20230319_135246.jpg
20230319_135217.jpg
20230319_135008.jpg
20230319_134902.jpg
20230319_135112.jpg
20230319_135035.jpg
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

When you see a bevel on 2 parallel sides with the bevel going in the same direction it is typically the orifice in your nozzle is not longer perfectly round so the airflow can force the arc off to the side being unable to keep it at a right angle to the material being cut, or your torch is not square to the plate.

If you see a bevel on all 4 sides with the bevel going in opposite directions on the parallel sides (like a pyramid) it is typically your cutting height. If the "pyramid " is smaller on top than the bottom (like a pyramid should be) the cut height is too high, if the "pyramid" is upside down the cut height is too low.

It looks like your bevel is only on 2 sides so check consumables for wear (may need magnifying glass) and replace if needed and be sure your air is clean and dry. If you see black/grey swirling stains inside your nozzle and around your electrode your air is dirty which will cause plenty of issues and may never get a square edge.
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pyro1983 »

weldguy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 am When you see a bevel on 2 parallel sides with the bevel going in the same direction it is typically the orifice in your nozzle is not longer perfectly round so the airflow can force the arc off to the side being unable to keep it at a right angle to the material being cut, or your torch is not square to the plate.

If you see a bevel on all 4 sides with the bevel going in opposite directions on the parallel sides (like a pyramid) it is typically your cutting height. If the "pyramid " is smaller on top than the bottom (like a pyramid should be) the cut height is too high, if the "pyramid" is upside down the cut height is too low.

It looks like your bevel is only on 2 sides so check consumables for wear (may need magnifying glass) and replace if needed and be sure your air is clean and dry. If you see black/grey swirling stains inside your nozzle and around your electrode your air is dirty which will cause plenty of issues and may never get a square edge.
Would it just be a worn nozzle? Or all of the consumables?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

it will be the nozzle that is the issue, the hole may no longer be round or could have a crater formed at the edge of the hole.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”