excess slag on back of cut item

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
crisscross
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

excess slag on back of cut item

Post by crisscross »

Good morning all, I am running a hypertherm 85 using 45 fine cut on a maverick table and seeming to be getting a lot of excess slag on the back of the cut. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to correct the problem? By the way, we are cutting 14 ga. steel. any input would be helpful.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: excess slag on back of cut item

Post by weldguy »

What speed are you cutting at? Sounds like it could be related to cutting too slow. Do you use the Hypertherm cut charts? You should be able to cut that pretty much slag free on the straights with minimal slag on the corners and small interior profiles.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

crisscross wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:12 am Good morning all, I am running a hypertherm 85 using 45 fine cut on a maverick table and seeming to be getting a lot of excess slag on the back of the cut. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to correct the problem? By the way, we are cutting 14 ga. steel. any input would be helpful.
I cut 14 ga. steel with my Hypertherm 85 using FineCut consumables at 190 ipm, 0.060" cut height, 0.150 pierce height, and using the other settings recommended in the cut chart. I achieve pretty nice cuts with minimal dross and nice edge quality. Also check to make sure you have clean air and have about 100 psi at the entrance to the cutter while the air is flowing thru the torch.
David
crisscross
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by crisscross »

Thank you for the responses, I am brand new to this game. We are running a Maverick 5x10 really like the machine. Just trying to figure out the many different settings. If you have any ideas as to how to insert the settings that you have mentioned I would love to hear them. Thank you.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

crisscross wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:02 pm Thank you for the responses, I am brand new to this game. We are running a Maverick 5x10 really like the machine. Just trying to figure out the many different settings. If you have any ideas as to how to insert the settings that you have mentioned I would love to hear them. Thank you.
I'm not familiar with the software the Maverick uses. What control software are you using? Can you show screen shots of the settings pages and upload the users manual so we can take a look?
David
crisscross
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by crisscross »

Thank you so much for taking time to talk to me about this. There a couple of things I should let you know. The reason I have gotten involved with the CNC After 35 years of driving a truck I lost most of my vision, had always welded and enjoyed it. I decided that with the vision that I had left I could figure out the operations in a cad and cnc program, it has been two months and we are making great strides. If you don't mind I will give you my phone number, if you have a chance give me a call and I will get you the information you need to help me get this cutting the way I know it can. By the way, my name is Dave Cross phone number is 231-920-7521. I am usually available most of the time. The software is flashtech, so far it does a great job. Now if we can figure out how to reduce the slag things will be great. I know this is a public forum, so feel free to call.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dave - Maverick has some excellent videos which I would highly recommend you study to help answer some of your questions. Here is one in particular showing you how to set your cut height, pierce height, cut speed, etc. In particular, here is the tab for setting your cutting speed. After watching this one, let me know if you have further questions and I will try to assist you.
David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEGP4VQuUZg
Maverick cam settings.jpg
Maverick cutting speed.jpg
Maverick cutting speed.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 954 times

Here is the Maverick page showing all of their training videos.
https://www.maverickcnc.com/software-training-videos/
Maverick training videos.jpg
Last edited by adbuch on Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crisscross
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by crisscross »

Thank you, actually I changed the cut speed and got a really nice cut. If you don't mind, could you tell me where to find these videos? As I said I am new to all of this computer stuff. Do not know how to find these. Every time I need to know something specific I don't know how to find it. Probably sounds crazy to you, Just never had much interest in computers. Again, thank you for taking the time.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

crisscross wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:29 am Thank you, actually I changed the cut speed and got a really nice cut. If you don't mind, could you tell me where to find these videos? As I said I am new to all of this computer stuff. Do not know how to find these. Every time I need to know something specific I don't know how to find it. Probably sounds crazy to you, Just never had much interest in computers. Again, thank you for taking the time.
Here is the Maverick page showing all of their training videos.
https://www.maverickcnc.com/software-training-videos/
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

crisscross wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:29 am Thank you, actually I changed the cut speed and got a really nice cut.
What cut speed did you end up using to achieve your really nice cuts?
Thanks,
David
crisscross
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by crisscross »

Ok, changed the cut speed in the options to high speed. We just went and cut a pretty meticulous item. The cuts that completed were great, but some of the cuts did not go completely through. I am thinking that I have to change the cut speed to what you had mentioned which was 191 ipm. I am going to watch one of the videos to see how to change the cut speed manually. Again, thank you for the information. We are going to get this. Again if you have feel free to give me a call.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Crisscross to find things on the web I use 2 different ways, first is Google and the other is Youtube. When you get on the web (Google chrome) at the top you can type what you are searching for. You do not need to be exact like "big flower pots" It will show this
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22big+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
It will give you other info to like where you can buy in your town, who sell them.
With YouTube it basically the same There is a search box at the top I entered the same thing and got this
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... allow+pots
I even use google for a spell and meaning checker for what ever.

have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:49 pm Crisscross to find things on the web I use 2 different ways, first is Google and the other is Youtube. When you get on the web (Google chrome) at the top you can type what you are searching for. You do not need to be exact like "big flower pots" It will show this
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22big+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
It will give you other info to like where you can buy in your town, who sell them.
With YouTube it basically the same There is a search box at the top I entered the same thing and got this
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... allow+pots
I even use google for a spell and meaning checker for what ever.

have fun
Tom
:Like :Like :Like :Like

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”