More 16 Gauge Plasma Cutting Issues

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Andynorris
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

More 16 Gauge Plasma Cutting Issues

Post by Andynorris »

I hope someone can help me out here. It’s the old topic of 16 gauge problems. I have read through all I can on here and tried all the different settings to no avail. Nothing I try or do seems to work. I’m using a Power Max 105 with a JD2 8 X 4 table. I’m hoping someone has the same set up and can help me. I’ve tried Fine Cut and 45 amp consumables. The cut quality is awful, and I’ve never managed to complete the piece I’m trying to cut. The piece is a 2’ diameter Tree of Life. I’ve seen more intricate pieces done and I have to say I wouldn’t expect to have this many issues with this set up. Can anyone help ?
harrymorley
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: More 16 Gauge issues

Post by harrymorley »

I suspect its a speed , amperage issue. 16 ga should use a fast cut speed if using high amperage....put some scrap on the table and try cut speeds around 150 ipm or so with 40 amp or so amperage. I dont use a water table so I keep spraying surface with water from a hand held water sprayer to reduce buckling . Some experimenting with speed and amps will hopefully help . Nowadays , I use nothing less than 14 ga . It was easier to figure out. Also cold rolled steel cuts cleaner with less dross.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Andynorris wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:20 pm I hope someone can help me out here. It’s the old topic of 16 gauge problems. I have read through all I can on here and tried all the different settings to no avail. Nothing I try or do seems to work. I’m using a Power Max 105 with a JD2 8 X 4 table. I’m hoping someone has the same set up and can help me. I’ve tried Fine Cut and 45 amp consumables. The cut quality is awful, and I’ve never managed to complete the piece I’m trying to cut. The piece is a 2’ diameter Tree of Life. I’ve seen more intricate pieces done and I have to say I wouldn’t expect to have this many issues with this set up. Can anyone help ?
What are your settings for cut height, piece height, cut speed, pierce delay time, current, and corner acceleration?
David
Andynorris
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Andynorris »

Harrymorley. I will be trying the 14 gauge, i've heard it's less trouble.
Adbuch. Cut heights i've tried from 0.06 to 0.08. Pierce height i tried 0.15. Pierce delay 0.04. Cut speed i reduced down to 170 ipm. Current i had down to 45 amps with the volts at 78. This was based on a post from whiskymike from a few years ago. As far as corner acceleration, i never altered this.
I forgot to mention that i have SheetCam. not sure whether that makes any difference or not. I see some people have built their own tools for thin gauge.
I figured i must be doing something wrong as the equipment is reputable. Also using a lot of consumables which leads me to believe somethings amiss.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hypertherm plasma cutter? Which model?
David
otisa2007
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by otisa2007 »

My biggest problem with the 16ga is trying to run too fast the height control can't react quick enough i use a plasmacam with a powermax 45 and only run 120ips at45 amps this works for me as i cut a bunch of 16ga and with my setup have pretty well eliminated 90% of my problems i also set the height control a little higher than normal to account for the material bowing
Andynorris
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Andynorris »

adbuch wrote:
> Hypertherm plasma cutter? Which model?
> David

I'm running the Powermax 105
Andynorris
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Andynorris »

otisa2007 wrote:
> My biggest problem with the 16ga is trying to run too fast the height
> control can't react quick enough i use a plasmacam with a powermax 45 and
> only run 120ips at45 amps this works for me as i cut a bunch of 16ga and
> with my setup have pretty well eliminated 90% of my problems i also set the
> height control a little higher than normal to account for the material
> bowing

I'll try those settings. Thanks.
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JeepGuy »

pics of cut quality?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

otisa2007 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:50 pm My biggest problem with the 16ga is trying to run too fast the height control can't react quick enough i use a plasmacam with a powermax 45 and only run 120ips at45 amps this works for me as i cut a bunch of 16ga and with my setup have pretty well eliminated 90% of my problems i also set the height control a little higher than normal to account for the material bowing
So you are using a 45 and not the 45xp. I use the FineCut consumables on anything 10 ga. and thinner, and cut at Hypertherm "book specs". The FineCuts are only available for machines using the Duramax torch. I am using either my 45xp or powermax 85 and both use the Duramax torch.
For your powermax 45, I would recommend that you try using the 30 A consumables and the settings shown below.

In addition, if you are using Design Edge with the advanced machine control upgrade, then adjust your corner acceleration down from the factory setting of 0.2G to something like 0.03 to 0.05G. This will allow you to run at the higher cut speeds while still maintaining your cut details.

I don't think you said exactly what you are cutting. For straight line cutting, it probably doesn't matter. But for things like artwork with finer details, then lower your corner acceleration. Ideally you would be using the FineCut consumables, but they are not available for the 45 unless you upgrade to the Duramax torch.

David
powermax 45 cut chart.jpg
machine control settings.jpg
Andynorris
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Andynorris »

harrymorley wrote:
> I suspect its a speed , amperage issue. 16 ga should use a fast cut speed
> if using high amperage....put some scrap on the table and try cut speeds
> around 150 ipm or so with 40 amp or so amperage. I dont use a water table
> so I keep spraying surface with water from a hand held water sprayer to
> reduce buckling . Some experimenting with speed and amps will hopefully
> help . Nowadays , I use nothing less than 14 ga . It was easier to figure
> out. Also cold rolled steel cuts cleaner with less dross.

Do you use Fine Cut or 45 amp consumables ?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, I do a lot of cutting of 22 ga. cr steel and the cuts are all great. I am using FineCuts at book settings.
David
Andynorris
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Andynorris »

Just curious adbuch. What machine are you using and there any known issues with using a Powermax 105 on thin gauge. I have heard that they are very voltage sensitive in relation to the THC.

Thanks
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Andynorris wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:27 pm Just curious adbuch. What machine are you using and there any known issues with using a Powermax 105 on thin gauge. I have heard that they are very voltage sensitive in relation to the THC.

Thanks
I am using my Hypertherm Powermax 85 for cutting 22 ga. steel on my Plamacam DHC2 table. I use the same settings and consumables (FineCuts) that I would use with my 45xp.
David

PS. As I mentioned previously, try using the 30 amp consumables for your machine. You will most likely have better results for thin material.
otisa2007

Post by otisa2007 »

I am running the older powermax 45 which it will cut at the rated speed i keep it slowed down due to the height control I only have the basic plasmacam height control and most of my problems with 16 ga come from the tip dragging on the metal the biggest drawback to the slower cut speed is the dross and most of my 16ga cuts are artwork on straight line stuff like my ash pans for the fire pits i can run the faster speeds
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

otisa2007 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:09 pm I am running the older powermax 45 which it will cut at the rated speed i keep it slowed down due to the height control I only have the basic plasmacam height control and most of my problems with 16 ga come from the tip dragging on the metal the biggest drawback to the slower cut speed is the dross and most of my 16ga cuts are artwork on straight line stuff like my ash pans for the fire pits i can run the faster speeds
Is your tip dragging because of warped material?
David
otisa2007

Post by otisa2007 »

adbuch wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:11 pm
otisa2007 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:09 pm I am running the older powermax 45 which it will cut at the rated speed i keep it slowed down due to the height control I only have the basic plasmacam height control and most of my problems with 16 ga come from the tip dragging on the metal the biggest drawback to the slower cut speed is the dross and most of my 16ga cuts are artwork on straight line stuff like my ash pans for the fire pits i can run the faster speeds
Is your tip dragging because of warped material?
David
Yes the 16ga i get warps faster than the height control can keep up on intricate designs at high speeds
Andynorris
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Andynorris »

adbuch wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:15 pm
Andynorris wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:27 pm Just curious adbuch. What machine are you using and there any known issues with using a Powermax 105 on thin gauge. I have heard that they are very voltage sensitive in relation to the THC.

Thanks
I am using my Hypertherm Powermax 85 for cutting 22 ga. steel on my Plamacam DHC2 table. I use the same settings and consumables (FineCuts) that I would use with my 45xp.
David

PS. As I mentioned previously, try using the 30 amp consumables for your machine. You will most likely have better results for thin material.
I Will try that adbuch, thanks for the advise.
Andy
NPHS-FFA
1/2 Star Elite Contributing Member
1/2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by NPHS-FFA »

I have been using 28 amps on 16 gauge so I can slow down to 110 Ipm and keep my precision and cut quality
North Pemiscot FFA
Wardell, MO

Langmuir Crossfire Pro
Hypertherm 45xp
Machine Torch
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

NPHS-FFA wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:51 pm I have been using 28 amps on 16 gauge so I can slow down to 110 Ipm and keep my precision and cut quality
Nice! I like the fine tuning. So many people stick to the charts which are a good starting point but often the cheaper or older machines just can't move that quickly and maintain crisp corners due to slop in the drive system, excessive weight in the gantry, or just a less rigid design.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: More 16 Gauge Plasma Cutting Issues

Post by rick_b »

For 12 years we have been cutting 1mm and 1.5mm with a 105 powermax with 45 fine consumables and had little to no problems. But after updating to a new machine the late last year which has a new 105 Sync on it now we literally can not cut any 1mm or 1.5MM without it being a nightmare and creating nothing but scrap for the bin.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

rick_b wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm For 12 years we have been cutting 1mm and 1.5mm with a 105 powermax with 45 fine consumables and had little to no problems. But after updating to a new machine the late last year which has a new 105 Sync on it now we literally can not cut any 1mm or 1.5MM without it being a nightmare and creating nothing but scrap for the bin.
Are you using the revision B cartridges? If you're using the flat nosed fine cut cartridges then contact where you got them and they can put in a warranty request and get them all replaced, used or not. The new ones with the castle type end have worked great for us on all thin material.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:22 pm
rick_b wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm For 12 years we have been cutting 1mm and 1.5mm with a 105 powermax with 45 fine consumables and had little to no problems. But after updating to a new machine the late last year which has a new 105 Sync on it now we literally can not cut any 1mm or 1.5MM without it being a nightmare and creating nothing but scrap for the bin.
Are you using the revision B cartridges? If you're using the flat nosed fine cut cartridges then contact where you got them and they can put in a warranty request and get them all replaced, used or not. The new ones with the castle type end have worked great for us on all thin material.
Yes, after seeing your other post about the 45Fines I got on to Hypertherm here, after a bit of pushing, they finally swapped the old ones for the newer type B. That probably fixed 50 to 60% of the problems but I still think there is a problem with the 105 Sync or the edge connect controller

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”