Cutting Speed and Cut Quality

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
gtj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cutting Speed and Cut Quality

Post by gtj »

Given a certain thickness, say 1/2”, as a general rule, will the cut quality improve any if you have a higher amp machine capable of cutting the material at a higher speed? (say 30 inches per min vs 50 inches per minute) or is there no significant difference presuming you have both machines dialed in?

Conversely, does cut quality as a general rule suffer as a result of cutting slower on a lower amperage unit?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting Speed and Cut Quality

Post by adbuch »

I use Hypertherm cutters - both 45xp and powermax 85 - and I find I get the best results using "book" settings from the Hypertherm mechanized cut charts. The one exception is for 14 ga. I seem to get better cuts with less dross when I slow the cut speed down to 190 ipm from the recommended 220 ipm using the FineCut consumables. I always use the recommended current setting (Amps).
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You might take a look at this link for some ideas on how cut speed can effect cut quality and back side dross.
David

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/suppor ... uch-dross/
cut quality vs speed.jpg
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

If we are dealing with both air plasma you should be able to achieve the same cut quality on 1/2" plate with a higher or lower amperage plasma. With the high amp plasma you will be able to cut it faster but the quality of the cut will be the same or similar. How speed affects quality as David has posted above relates to speed vs amperage, you need to get the right speed for the amperage your using, you can still get slow speed dross shown above with a high amp machine by simply cutting too slow.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”