Plasma Cut Holes are Beveled

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Plasma Cut Holes are Beveled

Post by Retro »

Sure, 11 mm is a little too much asked for that. But 15 mm in a 8 mm plate should be possible. Thats nearly 2 x thickness.

Whats difference between a 30 year old a new machine? I'm thinking about buying a newer plasma source and leave the torch the way it is. Or should it be the other way - new torch and old machine? Doesn't makes that much sense, but just asking.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

There are numerous technological advancements in both power supplies and torches in the last 30 years. I would not replace one without the other.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:01 pm There are numerous technological advancements in both power supplies and torches in the last 30 years. I would not replace one without the other.
Great advise!!!
David

:Like :Like :Like
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Ok, ill stay first with the Kjellberg plasma maybe it works totally fine with the repaired torch. It doesnt cut that bad with the hand torch at all.
dvn4life1972
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Beveled Holes

Post by dvn4life1972 »

Retro wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:59 am Is a Hypertherm 1100 for 1000 bucks woth it? I should get a Duramax Retrofit for the newer consumables...
I have a Hypertherm Powemax 1000 G3 using a Duramax retrofit machine torch. Works great, uses the new consumables for it.

A thousand dollars is a good price if it functions well. They’re very good machines.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I purchased a new torch from Kjellberg and it should arrive the next days. Lets wait, how the cuts turn out. If it stays bad, i will sell that Machine an get a newer Hypertherm.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

I have a new Hypertherm and I am not excited about it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rick_b wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:05 pm I have a new Hypertherm and I am not excited about it.
You know - there is a separate mechanized cut chart specifically for the Sync machines. Robert is apparently getting nice cuts using the new sync FineCuts.
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

rick_b wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:05 pm I have a new Hypertherm and I am not excited about it.
Well that's a bummer. Supposed to be excited about new shop toys. Hopefully you end up liking it.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

adbuch wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:25 am
You know - there is a separate mechanized cut chart specifically for the Sync machines. Robert is apparently getting nice cuts using the new sync FineCuts.
David
Yes, I do have them.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

weldguy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:41 am
Well that's a bummer. Supposed to be excited about new shop toys. Hopefully you end up liking it.

Disappointment is more the word I should use. Two months into a new $150K + machine the output in parts is for every 1 “useable” part 8 to 10 go in the bin.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

It might be worthwhile to switch back to your non-sync cutter and cut these same part just to see how they compare. Is that "$150K" in dollars or ??
Thanks,
David
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Tomorrow the new(er) torch should arrive with the old one. The old one and the handheld torch i can sell to regain money for the new one. Its now 10 meters long to fit into my cable chains to make it neat and tidy.

Total cost? 1600 €
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Thats great, I certainly hope it solves your issues, thats a hefty price tag.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

adbuch wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:01 am It might be worthwhile to switch back to your non-sync cutter and cut these same part just to see how they compare. Is that "$150K" in dollars or ??
Thanks,
David
Gave up on the new machine and reinstalled the 15yr old machine and are now cutting good parts again. That $150K is in dollars
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

weldguy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:56 pm Thats great, I certainly hope it solves your issues, thats a hefty price tag.
It is, yes. But they are still the number 1 in the plasma industry. I hope with it everything gets better.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rick_b wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:59 pm
adbuch wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:01 am It might be worthwhile to switch back to your non-sync cutter and cut these same part just to see how they compare. Is that "$150K" in dollars or ??
Thanks,
David
Gave up on the new machine and reinstalled the 15yr old machine and are now cutting good parts again. That $150K is in dollars
You paid $150,000 for a Hypertherm plasma cutter? That doesn't make sense to me. What is your currency?
David
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

David,

That was for a new CNC machine that came with a Hypertherm Powermax 105SYNC and an Edge connect controller fitted.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Alright, yesterday came my new torch and it cuts great! On Aluminium nearly no dross and the edge seems to improved too.
Here a little project shots:
20221202_103104.jpg
20221202_103109.jpg
20221202_103137.jpg
20221202_103144.jpg
Today i received a mail from Kjellberg that says they sent me the wrong torch. Yes, the wrong one. Mine is a PB-M25W and i need one with a S before the 25. The M stands for MARKING not SCHNEIDEN (Cutting). So they will send me a PB-S45W. Hopefully the consumables are still fitting.
The old torches are going to be sold. The Handtorch is already sold, the defect machine torch will be on ebay soon.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Like many bumps on the road, your happy when they are gone.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Ive built it a year ago, im nearly there.
Next week the Storch should arrive. The net cost of it are 2850 €, i get a 1500 discount and 1300 from the wrong torch when sending it back.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I finally received my new torch. Its a bigger one and brand new! Same consumables as the old one and it seems to me, that it consumes more air than the smaller one. The new torch holding bracket is not finished yet, it still prints. Tomorrow i can attach it to the Z-Axis.

New costs of this torch 2850 without taxes. With tax 3500 €. Costs for me? None. I already payed the 25M-Torch and because of their mistake they give me the new torch "for free". I send the old one back and use the money on this one.
20221206_174147.jpg
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Thats great, glad to see you are getting it all sorted out. Hopefully get some good results with that new torch. Good luck and show us your cuts.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I will try some cuts on different materials. we will see.
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

Looks like you have more than one problem.

My comments are the same as others, but maybe it helps to hear it from someone else.

8mm isn't too thick, I would think with some futzing you could get it to go without drilling (I dont like to drill stainless either) depending on how square you want / need the holes.

I would increase the amps by 10 to 20 and decrease the speed by 50% on the holes. It is hard on the slats.

Measure the distance to the sheet. Check that you are piercing high enough.

Put a small refrigerated air dryer in the system before your filters if you can. Big refrigerated dryers don't seem to run enough to work right for me.

Turn up the air pressure on your plasma cutter torch. Try to get the cut without much drag (cutting straight up and down)

Put the ground clamp right on the material.

Make sure the ground to the table is good. We ground our tables right to the plasma cutter ground with another cable and run another ground right to the building grounding system (conduit or whatnot works too). If your grounds aren't right the auto torch height control doesn't seem to work right

I would use manual torch height control until you figure out what is going on for sure.

Keep the water high, stainless moves more than mild steel - got to keep it cool. Flood it if you can.

Doing one thing at a time will show you what is going on. I would try to improve the system, stainless steel is expensive stuff.

When cutting over 1/2 inch (13 mm) material we will sometimes run an ironworker punch through the hole to clean it out (just keep the cut speed fast on the table then) You can clean out thousands of holes on one punch. With the heat hardening you go through die grinder bits and hole reamers like crazy but that works too (sucks but works)

Good luck

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”