Melting plasma tips HySpeed HT2000LHF

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
alvernjm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Melting plasma tips HySpeed HT2000LHF

Post by alvernjm »

Hi there,
I just got my table up and running. I bought it used and finally got it all put together right I think. The plasma cutter is a HySpeed HT2000LHF. I got some really nice cuts in and then randomly the end of the nozzle would totally melt off. So I'd replace the nozzle and it'd either cut fine again or destroy itself right away. At that time I was cutting 1 3/8 steel for a friend of mine. Since he needed the part I just wrecked a few tips and got it done. I was cutting at 200 amps with 90 psi of compressed air. The previous owners had used oxygen so the consumables i was using (the ones that came with the table) weren't quite the right ones for compressed air but they seemed to work fine most of the time. But yesterday I was trying to cut some 3/4" steel and the problem got way worse. It cut probably 8" just beautifully then it destroyed the tip. So I replaced the tip and as soon as I started to cut the tip melted again. By this time the proper tips had come. I had also just installed a small desiccant inline filter just before the power unit. But this time the melted tip material actually somehow sucked up inside the tip up against the nozzle. I had set the flowmeter according to the book and the inlet pressure gauge on the gas console never drops below the recommended 90 psi when I test preflow and cut flow. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to anything because I'm brand new at this besides what I've read on this forum. Thanks, Alvern

Also how do I attach pictures? When I try to add a file it always says the submitted form is invalid
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Melting plasma tips

Post by acourtjester »

I would look at the air supply if you have an old compressor and there is oil in the air that can really cause a problem with the tips.
As to the image attachments they need to be either .JPG or other image files, if you click on the file type it will show the formats it will take see attached.
attached.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
alvernjm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by alvernjm »

Ok thanks. I suppose it cut fine until the oil worked its way to the torch. I have a filter system coming in a few days that should take care of the oil hopefully. Would there be someway to flush the torch lines?
Attachments
IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1560.jpg
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_1558.jpg
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

I have a 120 amp table

I cut most stuff at 60 or 80 amps.

Better quality cuts with the slower speeds.

Easier on consumables.

I would turn it down and see if that helps.

I typically run just hot enough that it will pierce (often I go one step lower on amps then my table says to - so if it says edge start at 80 amps, but says pierce at 100 amps I will still pierce and run at 80 amps.

If you are running a water table try running the water at a higher level, that seems to help consumables life.

Also, if you are piercing at 1.375" - holy cow that gets hot. Check if you can light your torch, then after the arc move your torch pierce height higher and then have the torch come down right after the pierce. My table calls it crawl mode or something. I don't use it as it takes lots of futzing to set all the variables (but I edge start when that thick)

Also, you could edge start or drill a hole where you are going to start.

Good luck
alvernjm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by alvernjm »

Ok I figured out what was happening although I'm not sure what the root cause is. Something switches in the plasma machine and randomly shuts off the cutflow air supply. After a while the solenoid reopens and its good to go again. The preflow and the shield gas aren't affected. I might give Hypertherm a call tomorrow and see if they know what's happening. Just thought I'd mention on here what I had figured out so far in case someone else has the same problem
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

alvernjm wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:36 pm Ok I figured out what was happening although I'm not sure what the root cause is. Something switches in the plasma machine and randomly shuts off the cutflow air supply. After a while the solenoid reopens and its good to go again. The preflow and the shield gas aren't affected. I might give Hypertherm a call tomorrow and see if they know what's happening. Just thought I'd mention on here what I had figured out so far in case someone else has the same problem
Best to check your air supply to make sure you aren't running out of air. An inline air pressure gauge installed directly and the air entrance to the cutter is the best way to go. For my Hypertherm 85 I have it set to 100 psi while air is flowing thru the torch. I'm not familiar with your particular cutter, but your manual should give the recommended working range. When it "randomly shuts off the cutflow air supply" is there any warning light that comes on at the front panel of the cutter? In any case, a quick glance at the inline air pressure gauge will tell if you if your problem is lack of air pressure to the cutter, or an otherwise internal cutter problem.

David
hardworker
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by hardworker »

does it happen all the time? even different thickness of material your cutting? its possible the I/0 parameters are incorrect after the new setup. Im no professional. just something to check, i run the same plasma with phoenix software.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Have you checked to see it the plasma unit has an error code for you to check. Things happen fast and you can miss if it the loss of the arc or air that causes the problem. Or it could be some other thing that happens.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
alvernjm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Melting plasma tips HySpeed HT2000LHF

Post by alvernjm »

I found the error code led on one of the boards in the front and it’s not showing a code. When I switched on the machine this morning once again there was no cut flow when I tested it. So I moved the regulator right to the back of the machine and restarted the machine and it started working again. Then I cut 6 8” circles without any problems so fingers crossed that the problem’s fixed

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”